Repeated Ear Infections

Harley

I need help. We got a Springer Spaniel Bailey in November. Since we have had her I have had to take her to the vet 3 times for ear infections. I think she has another one right now. Each time I have taking her in I have had to pay $100 for them to comfirm this. I can't afford to keep affording to take her in. More importantly I do want Bailey's ears to keep bothering. The vets aren't helping much. They gave me wash & told me to wash her ears out twice a week, which I do.

I just did some research online. What I came up with is that she could have a food allergy. Is there any dog food that can be recommended for this?

Also excess moisture can cause it. We live in Colorado we have had a very wet winter. How do I help this?

Any other ideas?

If it helps she will be a year at the end of April.

Thanks

Spiritus

If she has another one now, just call the vet and see if they can't just sell you the medication for the infection. They've seen her enough now to know that it's chronic.

Food allergies could very well be causing the chronic infections - that is, IF they are yeast infections. Foods with corn and high grain content can cause yeast in the ears. Our Pyr who used to suffer from ear-yeast infections is on a lamb based food with no corn and low grain content. It's working for her. A lot of the good brands of food have allergy blends. Duck or fish with potatoe or brown rice is a typical "allergy" food.

I suggest having her allergy tested to know for sure what she is allergic to. It will save you money in the long run. Her diet might be the culprit, but it might not -- or might be only one of the culprits.

Harley

I am feeding her Natural Choice, lamb & rice.

Thanks you everyone for your suggustions.

Brattina88

I would switch off of Nutro, IMO its not a very good food... ingredient wise... And, if I remember right, it was one of them that's on the list of brands that contain the euthanasia drug... If it is a food allergy that's causing the ear infections, it'll help. But even if it isn't, having your dog on the healthiest food possible to you will help your dog fight the infection naturally simply because the nutrition allows her to be healthier...
Did your vet say if it was a yeast infection or not? What kind of a cleaning solution are you using and how often?
Here's a good ear cleaner that you can make... I don't use it currently, but I have in the past, and I've never heard of a case where it hasn't helped.
Ear Cleaner

I'd suggest keep up with the cleaning, get antibiotics / talk to your vet. And switch foods! (check out the dog food section, read the stickies, and feel free to post questions if you have any :))

Let us know how it goes! :)

R

RedyreRottweilers

Grains in the diet can aggravate ear issues.

Do a search for "purple power ear wash". It's one you can make at home inexpensively, and can work very well for dogs who don't have mites.

Dogs with long drop pendant ears like Springers, Cockers, etc, can have lots of problems with moisture staying in the ear since the ears hang down and prevent air flow into the ear.

If you can find a reasonable and comfortable way to keep her ears back so her ear canal is open to the air for a period of time each day I would recommend it. Some people let the ear hair grow out a little and use an elastic band to hold the ears up and back.

Harley

Thank you for all of your help.

I just got back from the vet. My vet is certain that is a food allergy. She was telling me that Bailey has to be on a very strict diet. So we will just have to figure things out.

I was told that Nutro was a good brand. Can you tell me one that is better?

I still suggest that you have her allergy-tested to confirm that it is a food allergy, and what food in particular she is allergic to. Most vets will suspect a food allergy because this is the easiest to rule out and manage. But, like what Brattina said, it won't hurt to try another type of dog food. You might want to check out Eaglepack Holistic, Canidae, Innova and Timberwolf Organics. If it's a feasible option for you, I highly recommend a homecooked diet. My dog, who was also suspected of having food allergies, is doing fantastic on hers. You can try the recipe at Dogie Bag. It's very easy to follow.

S

savethebulliedbreeds

My parents rottweiler had repeated ear infection and they STUNK so horrible. It turned out to be a grain allergy.

My 7 month old lab had a full blown yeast infection 5 months ago and 2 weeks ago had a mild reoccurance. I find that if I clean his ears out with solution (which he hates) about once every 2 weeks it prevents the infection from coming back. If I notice his ears starting to muck up more than 1-2 times a week I will use the medicated ointment from my first visit until it clears up. The solution and cream can be had for only like $20 and will last a long time.

Anyone else have any lab suggestions?

Sweet72947

Squishy face
My 5 yr old lab mix gets chronic yeast infections. I try to keep her ears clean and I give her some antifungal ear medication. I just ordered some off of 1800petmeds.com. Its called Micaved. My dog is allergic to yeast spores in grass.

My 5 yr old lab mix gets chronic yeast infections. I try to keep her ears clean and I give her some antifungal ear medication. I just ordered some off of 1800petmeds.com. Its called Micaved. My dog is allergic to yeast spores in grass.
SEARCH RESULTS

We're unable to locate Micaved. Might it be found in one of these categories?

Accessories
Bone & Joint
Flea and Tick
Grooming
Health
Heartworm
Medications
Vaccines

Members online

No members online now.