Breed for my parents?

RD

Are you dead yet?
So in a year or so when I move out with my crew, my parents are going to want a dog. They want to keep Dakota but I think I've convinced them that he's a little too much dog for them.

So, I've been looking for a breed for them. They want a good natured, large (over 40lbs) dog that is inherently kind and accepting of people and other animals. They really prefer a quiet dog (not a lot of barking) and while they want to take the dog on walks, they don't want a lot of energy. If at all possible, they want a dog that is content to be with them and not extremely strong-willed.

I've been thinking that a Golden Retriever would be good for them, and they definitely like Goldens, but the hair is a concern - they'd like something with a shorter, thinner coat since it gets so hot here. I've been racking my brain and I can't think of a breed that would suit them. I adore Whippets and would love to see them with one, but they are just a little too small.

So, any suggestions? (Oh, btw, rescue is not an option - they want a well-bred puppy)

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Golden Retriever is what came to mind for me... but like you said, the hair is a concern. I can't think of anything else..lol.

sam

Well as someone currently living with an aussie and a bc and one
board & train young Golden, I wouldn't say a Golden if they want LESS dog to manage. While I do love Goldens, that exuberant bouncy puppy stage which lasts for sooo long with them is a bit hard if you're not up for it. The shedding is a consideration too.
Hmm.. all the breeds I can think of that I like that are easy to own, companion dogs are smaller than 40 pounds.
I don't know your parents but I like cavaliers, havanese, bichons (if you're ok with the curly coat thing)
What about a nice, wellbred, smallish female Viszla? There would be a bouncy stage but they are smaller and lighter than a Golden with nonexistant coat and oooh those silky soft Viszla ears are to die for.

RD

Are you dead yet?
Oh CRAP, just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. :eek: Dumb me.

Anyway, Sam, do you think breeding has anything to do with their energy levels? Perhaps the fact that Lucy is from show lines makes a difference. She's bouncy at times but she's very slow, mellow and gentle for the most part.

A Virgo would be good :D but I'm sure she'll be adopted by the time they're ready for a dog.

A Vizsla . . . For some reason, all of the V's I've met have been very, very high energy. I love the breed but I don't know if all the energy will work for my parents. They really need something more placid.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
how about a standard poodle? the hair can be kept clipped close-and temperment seems to be what you describe.

RD

Are you dead yet?
We all adore standard poodles, mom especially. I'd love to see them get one, but again the energy concerns me. I suppose if the dog was trained well, it wouldn't be bad - not Border Collie intense, anyway.

I hadn't thought of that, Baxter's, thanks!

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I think a poodle would be great! Also they could get a miniture poodle (not sure what everyone thinks of those, but) Only think is I don't know the weight range. Given enough mentel stimulation they should be fine.

Mariana

My parents wanted a breed exactly like you described it. I bought an english mastiff for them, and it has really been the ideal breed. A bit of problem with her slobberiness, but it´s not that bad. Calm, stable, not very energetic but loves to walk, obedient, loves company but isn´t very demanding. And she is really sweet.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
We all adore standard poodles, mom especially. I'd love to see them get one, but again the energy concerns me. I suppose if the dog was trained well, it wouldn't be bad - not Border Collie intense, anyway.

I hadn't thought of that, Baxter's, thanks!
^ I try to please:)

GREYHOUND GREYHOUND GREYHOUND GREYHOUND GREYHOUND!!

Though they may be considered "rescues" there are programs where you can pick out your puppy and follow them through their racing career, then when they retire they get to come home with you!!

And even if they can't get into a program like that all racing Greyhounds can have their lineage tracked so they are not "unknown mutts." Some Greys are higher energy than others, but it's easier to find a relaxed retired racer than anything.

bubbatd

A well bred , well socialized Golden isn't a handful !! My grand-dog Seger is just 5 months old .... a perfect gentleman . ( LOL !! At least I hope so , he comes to me Saturday for a week ! )

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Well if you were thinking Whippet but they're too small, then I agree with SisMorphine that Greyhounds would be worth looking into. Magnificent dogs, and despite their speed they're *lazy* lol.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I really thought a nice well bred Golden would be nice for them, but that's just me. I adore show bred goldens though. Lucy was gorgeous. Made me want one too!

And I tend to think every family needs a Beaubeau. XD

RD

Are you dead yet?
Ooo! I didn't even think of Greys. Sis, about how old are they when they retire? Wally is absolutely gorgeous.

My only concern with the retired greys would be the whole prey drive thing. We have cats and a Papillon and wouldn't care to see any of them eaten.

Laurelin, I really like the show bred Goldens too. Granted, if it were a dog for me I probably wouldn't choose a Golden, much less one from show lines, but I love how sweet, patient and placid they are. Perfect for my parents.

Usually only the grown Goldens are placid, I wonder what kind of luck you have, finding an Eve and getting to play with that other Golden.

Most Greys are 2-4 when they retire, sometimes younger, especially if they had a racing injury. Rescues will try and find the cat safe ones. It also depends on the cat.. are they runners or scratchers?

But my choice would be... Newf or a Saint!

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Too bad Berners have about the same amount of coat as a Golden... they're wonderful, placid, gentle souls - at least, the Berners my handler breeds are this way. If I was to ever have kids (which I won't but still), I'd get a Berner for them to grow up with - simply awesome dogs.

Heck, I'm thinking about getting a Berner someday anyway!

Ooo! I didn't even think of Greys. Sis, about how old are they when they retire? Wally is absolutely gorgeous.

My only concern with the retired greys would be the whole prey drive thing. We have cats and a Papillon and wouldn't care to see any of them eaten.
Greyhounds can be retired from the track anywhere from 1.5 on up. Wally was retired at 4. You usually see them around 2-3 years old. You can also find retired brood mommas at about 8 or 9. They usually live 13-15 years which is great for a dog of their size.

As far as prey drive goes, it comes in all shapes and sizes. Wally's is very minimal, and never shows up when he's indoors. He has lived happily with 2 cats for a few months when we were taking care of them for a friend, he also gets along GREAT with my rabbit. Yes that's right, my rabbit.

Energy levels can range greatly, Wally is super lazy, my friend's Grey Melody is a crazy lab in a Greyhound's body. The great thing is that your parents can tell the local rescue exactly what they need (good with cats and small dogs, quiet, relaxed but enjoys going for walks, etc) and most places will have a Grey in their program that will fit, and if they don't they will look for one for them. Greyhound "rescue" is like a WHOLE different world from other types of rescue.

Oh, and if they're ever tempted to get a Greyhound puppy instead of rescuing an adult (sometimes oops litters from the farms and tracks will show up in rescue because if you don't know both parents the puppies cannot race) tell them to rethink it!! Greyhound puppies are beyond your normal puppy terrors, very high energy, very destructive, they need a very firm hand and are a handful. It's the strict life of the track that makes them nice and mellow and appreciate a nice soft bed when they are retired :)

Oh, Wally and Sexy Rexy:

Wally and Saint Jimmy

How about one of the setters? English, Irish, etc? They are usually lower energy. Or a smooth collie? If you got a field bred setter you probably wouldn't have to worry about the hair

Members online

No members online now.