biting

mlee

Peyton is now 5 months old and his biting was getting better but now it's just getting worse! I noticed that this week he's been losing teeth and getting his adults so that could have something to do with it but still he needs to quit biting! We've tried the OUCH! thing and scolding and ignoring but nothing seems to work. He doesn't nip at my bf nearly as much as me (i'm assuming this is an alpha dog thing) but i need some advice!

Barb04

Super Moderator
If you put "puppy biting" in the SEARCH above, you will bring up lots of postings. Here is a posting that I thought was good. I have a new pup also that is biting and had to re-read these postings for ideas:

10-02-2006, 02:47 PM
Doberluv
Top Dog Join Date: Dec 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd go with Ian too. The thing about trying different things is that its confusing. Up to now, this behavior has been reinforced or it wouldn't continue. In other words, its been working for her. You need to stick with something consistantly for a few weeks until she realizes that what she did before isn't working anymore. (working to get playtime and attention)

If the bite is the slightest bit too much pressure, abruptly end all playtime for a little bit. Walk away and give no attention. If she is very gentle, continue patting her calmly. Stick with it. When she is becoming gentle quite regularily, start adding a cue word, like, "gennnntle." Then later you can use it as a reminder ahead of time. Don't use the word while she's biting hard or she'll think that's what the word means. LOL. Wait till she's gentle so it can be associated with the behavior.

Scruffing, yelling, frightening IMO doesn't teach. It just subdues the dog and makes them distrustful of you, some dogs mildly, some more so. I think its best to reinforce the behavior you do like and manage the behavior you don't.

My Dobe puppy was unbelieveable. My goodness, could he ever bite! He learned and I didn't have to be harsh with him by scruffing or any terrifically dramatic cures. He learned what kind of mouthing kept the affection and fun going and what kind of biting made all the good stuff go away. Dogs, like any living organism want to keep the good things happening. Some dogs take longer than others. Puppies are just babies and they need time to mature and learn these lessons. No need to get too riled up about it at this point.

Members online

No members online now.