The Good News thread

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady

There's a place in MD that focuses mainly on a bunch of dog sports.... Training classes, hosts trials etc. they have quite a range of different sports and people that train and trial in those sports to teach classes etc. Jacksonsmom knows what place I'm talking about since she usually takes her classes through this place.

I'm moving to ABQ, NM area and can't find anything like this out there. There are places that teach agility and stuff but nothing like this place in MD. I basically want to start a dog sports academy out there that offers various different dog sports plus obedience training, etc and get approved to host trials. I want to also include dock diving since I checked the dock diving website and it doesn't look like there is a club in that area. I would want to find trainers that have experience and have earned titles in these sports to train. Basically want a one place go to sports facility for dogs. It's kind of a pipe dream right now but I would love to make it happen if I can find people interested in being a part of it. It would be similar to like a human sports complex only for dogs and I would want an indoor facility as well as outdoor.

Last edited:

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
There's a place in MD that focuses mainly on a bunch of dog sports.... Training classes, hosts trials etc. they have quite a range of different sports and people that train and trial in those sports to teach classes etc. Jacksonsmom knows what place I'm talking about since she usually takes her classes through this place.

I'm moving to ABQ, NM area and can't find anything like this out there. There are places that teach agility and stuff but nothing like this place in MD. I basically want to start a dog sports academy out there that offers various different dog sports plus obedience training, etc and get approved to host trials. I want to also include dock diving since I checked the dock diving website and it doesn't look like there is a club in that area. I would want to find trainers that have experience and have earned titles in these sports to train. Basically want a one place go to sports facility for dogs. It's kind of a pipe dream right now but I would love to make it happen if I can find people interested in being a part of it. It would be similar to like a human sports complex only for dogs and I would want an indoor facility as well as outdoor.
Sometimes I think a bunch of us Chazzers should get together, because I know there's a few of us who all dream of owning a canine sports facility.

DJEtzel

That's awesome. I was really interested in doing the exact same thing for a while! I am not so interested anymore, but I love having access to places like this!

crazedACD

Sometimes I think a bunch of us Chazzers should get together, because I know there's a few of us who all dream of owning a canine sports facility.

Can you hire me? :p Maybe not for straight up training. But other stuff. I would move to ABQ.

I was looking heavily into doing the same thing, complete with a regulation dock dogs pool, with my friend. Also probably doggy daycare and maybe boarding. It's been put off because getting the loans and grants is seriously intimidating. And finding the proper location. So much red tape. We found a fantastic place, and they wouldn't approve it for any dog business :/.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I was looking heavily into doing the same thing, complete with a regulation dock dogs pool, with my friend. Also probably doggy daycare and maybe boarding. It's been put off because getting the loans and grants is seriously intimidating. And finding the proper location. So much red tape. We found a fantastic place, and they wouldn't approve it for any dog business :/.
We have had that exact same problem finding a place for training (where I work now.) We gave up our old building because the rent was insane, and now we are training in the back of our original building, which is fine, but just not enough room for what we really want... every place the head trainer looks at, when she says we want to use it for dog stuff, they're like NOPE NOPE NOPE. But c'mooooooon!!

I actually have a business plan started, a list of equipment I want to buy including where I want to get it from and the prices for it all... but I just plain don't have the time to really devote to pursuing it. I have tried to wrangle my mom into joining forces with me LOL. I'm like "would you quit your job and come work for me? I'll make you operations manager!" No dice LOL. C'MOOOOOOOOON!!

crazedACD

Yuuup. So much fun. The place we found had an indoor, in ground pool. With locker rooms. And a house attached. And an apartment. And open space inside. And an above ground basement with double bay garage doors heading out to the yard. It was very very intriguing. There would have been a lot of thought put into setting it up, but there is potential.

Here!
http://www.glickmankovago.com/property-listings/376-feet-of-frontage-on-route-9-2-5-acres-of-land/

Working with my friend though is a little difficult, I don't think she quite gets the need for 'ring space' which was my ultimate goal. She is more interested 'holding a few pet classes' while my vision is more like a serious sport facility.

We train at the only horse barn in the city, within several hours of the city really, and there are plans to remove it, not because it's not busy, the waiting list is several years long, bout because they want to put a road in,FFS! No plans on moving it or giving them different land, just a big eff you.

Paviche

Duuuuude.
I posted on FB earlier, but: I got a job at Petsmart as a trainer! :) I'm so excited to get my foot in the door training and get some experience teaching classes.

Also, there's a lure coursing fun day on Saturday that I'm taking the boys to. So excited!

Airn

I posted on FB earlier, but: I got a job at Petsmart as a trainer! :) I'm so excited to get my foot in the door training and get some experience teaching classes.

Also, there's a lure coursing fun day on Saturday that I'm taking the boys to. So excited!
Congrats! Hopefully that will help your financial stresses. And make you happy! :)

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I want to run a dog sports facility! Or at least work there. We should totally team up.

On the other hand, it seems like a tough business. I know my trainer has struggled getting enough interest in her classes. Sucks.

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I want to run a dog sports facility! Or at least work there. We should totally team up.

On the other hand, it seems like a tough business. I know my trainer has struggled getting enough interest in her classes. Sucks.
The other day I had a dream that a tornado blew down our barn (no one was hurt though in my dream it took a while to catch the chickens afterward, haha) AND I won the lottery. Simultaneously. And I built this awesome training facility to replace the barn and it was amazing. Agility-centered but had an indoor current pool for year-round conditioning and all sorts of other cool stuff.

Then my alarm clock rang. Alas.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator

Owning your own business is never easy, pretty much regardless of the industry. But it's important to know your market, and know how to market.
Most dog people have no idea how to run a business, that's another problem. LOTS of people don't know how to run a business. That's why it's a whopping percentage of small businesses fail within their first year... people just have no idea. And I do think people underestimate how difficult it is, too.

It's a dream of mine, and cursory research leads me to believe this area could definitely sustain it. But there's just no way for me to pursue it right now. It takes too much time to even begin pursuing it, and too much money... and I'm busy just trying to figure out how to make my mortgage payment this month. =P

SpringerLover

So, I uhh, got some super exciting news today I totally wasn't expecting.

I wasn't expecting to get paid for my internship because it's 35 hours/week and I only currently work 10. We're a tiny company. My boss told me today that the whole thing will be paid. I kind of stared at her dumbfounded, because I've been so stressed about making ends meet while doing my internship that it's been driving me crazy--I was going to have to work 7 days a week 35 hours for internship and 24 at my other job just to attempt to make ends meet. Now I can take ONE WHOLE DAY off at my other job, and STILL be okay.

Uh, yay? I love my boss.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
So, I uhh, got some super exciting news today I totally wasn't expecting.

I wasn't expecting to get paid for my internship because it's 35 hours/week and I only currently work 10. We're a tiny company. My boss told me today that the whole thing will be paid. I kind of stared at her dumbfounded, because I've been so stressed about making ends meet while doing my internship that it's been driving me crazy--I was going to have to work 7 days a week 35 hours for internship and 24 at my other job just to attempt to make ends meet. Now I can take ONE WHOLE DAY off at my other job, and STILL be okay.

Uh, yay? I love my boss.
SURPRISE MONEY!! That's awesome!

Members online

No members online now.