Submissive Urination??

I'm not sure if that is what this is.

Colt pees when approached by strangers - both in the house and if we go for a walk. Not all the time, but most of the time. He doesn't squat down and pee it just spurts out all over (male Collie, 4 months) while he is jumping around like a crazy dog!! It's worse if people greet him in an excited way vs. a calm way.

Is this submissive urination or is it just an excitable puppy thing? Why is he doing this? Will it eventually stop and how can I help this process?

I instruct people to not acknowledge him right away as Colt is very high strung and jumps up and stuff anyway. I do not want to intentionally train him that this behavior gets attention (the jumping up). He must sit first in order to be greeted by us.

By the way, he has not done this at puppy classes - it is mostly at home.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Definitely sounds like a puppy thing.

With the continued training and tons of patience, I'm sure all will be well. :)

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
If he's anything like Tosca was in the beginning, it's just excitement. Puppies also have small bladders compared to an adult, so it would probably be a good idea to take her out if you know company is going to show up soon. That might help. Tosca did it for a little while and then it just stopped.

She also had a jumping problem which has seriously improved with the help of a professional trainer in a One On One situation. It's really HARD to get an excited puppy to Sit, at least it was for me in the beginning, so I tip my hat to you if it works. I had to do One On One training with Tosca to really get her (and me!) to pay attention and understand basic obedience before I even put her in a group setting.

Thanks for all of your comments!!!

Once again I can sleep well tonight knowing I have a puppy who is developing normally.

ToscasMom - it's the unexpected guests that get me!! I ALWAYS make Colt empty his bladder before company and walks. I also tell people not to acknowledge him until he is calm. Sometimes this takes awhile, and if I have been walking, we may walk away before he really clams down enough to have a pet or treat!! Colt will do the sit or down command, but he will not stay yet so he immediately jumps up when they reach down, but hey, he's only 4 months old. He is also completely housetrained and holds it overnight for 6-8 hours!! I have to brag because he is doing so well with most stuff - I'm so proud of him. He is just the most energetic puppy I have ever seen. Just watching him run around the house and play makes me tired and I have 3 kids!!! We are really working on the biting thing now - we have to tackle this soon...

Thanks again

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
it's the unexpected guests that get me!!
ROFL!

Do you notice that some friends/relatives are no help at all and decide that his jumping is fine with them. Don't you just want to shoot them?

gggrrrrrrrrrrr - that really gets me:mad: . I mean I expect my kids to give me a difficult time being consistent, but other adults? - go figure!! Although, I have to admit, Colt has a way of making you forget what you are supposed to be doing - persistant little bugger that he is.

Just like I HATE when people tell him NO NO NO NO NO!! I don't use that word - it would be meaningless!! I say it all the time to my kids and they ignore me too so why would Colt listen to that??!!

How easy would it be to train my dog on a remote island somewhere?? Sounds good to me......:cool:

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
I'm just getting such a kick out of you and Colt, Bum. I can almost envision you and him and kids and the whole thing. I don't know what it is but it tickles me

Tosca turned 7 months 2 days ago. I have no idea what she weighs now. Definitely more than a big bread box. I guess I should put her on the scale. and say Sit. Or I could pick her up and hold her but then there would be the hospital stay with the traction...

Believe me, Bum, she has come a LONG way since she was four months. I would say four months is hell week. Hahaha. Has she started teething yet? You know, when you look in her mouth she has two sets of teeth like Jaws? LOL.

Yeah, it's a real HOOT!!! Shoot me now.....Right now Colt is sleeping after a marathon play session in the family room where he runs around like a nut while we watch a movie.....Now it's bathing time at the zoo (for the kids, though, not the animal).

Colt is very small. I'd say 15-17 lbs. about now. I'm trying to get into your blog to show my son the latest excerpt with the dance video, but it won't load. I'll keep trying...

Oh, the teeth...

He lost most of his teeth and the adult teeth are in - I can brush them now. They never really doubled up. They fell out really fast. I think he ate them all, I only got one. We were his teethers. (and my pottery barn rug:mad: ) He does have a rope toy that he loves, it helped a lot. Some of his teeth got ripped out on our clothing. Now doesn't that sound like fun??......Tonight he showed a distinct liking for my throw rug by the back door. I washed it today - he never touched it when it was dirty??!!

Members online

No members online now.