Candlemaking?

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
Specifically beeswax, but I don't know if there is a difference in methods...

Anyone do it? I'm not going for anything fancy, just the basics. I love candles but burning them can be rather dangerous for the birds. Apparently regular scented wax has nasty things in it, and most wicks have lead. I'd like to try to make my own.....

Romy

Taxiderpy
Dipping the wick repeatedly is really really time consuming. You have to roll the candle out between dips or it turns out looking like a rutabaga.

Pouring candle wax into a container with a wick is really fast and works well. I've seen people roll sheets of beeswax around a wick too, but never made them like that.

Parafin is a lot cheaper, but the fumes are kind of toxic. Soy wax is a lot healthier to burn if you want an alternative to bee. Sometimes I pick up old half burned candles from garage sales if they're real beeswax and melt them down to reuse.

GipsyQueen

We used to make our own beeswax candles in school - I have to go to work though, so I'll post later. :)

Dekka

Just try me..
Rolling sheets of beezwaz has got to be the easiest candle making method ever. Just just lay the wick down, roll, done.

Doesn't end up cheaper than dollar store candles though.

Members online

No members online now.