Yorkie or Chihuahua

sp0322

That was her primary concern. She said that in three years I'll be going to college and what would I do then.. Well obviously I would leave it with her.. We decided.. My mom wont let me move more than two hours away and personally I think that is too far.. I would rather go to like a college that just outside of like boston or something.. I think I want to be a nurse and I know of a good college with a good nursing program St. A's.. Well what do you think of this site? www.blueboychihuahuas.com she said she didnt have puppies but look at this e-mail:

Now that I think about it I do know of a local small breeder(she don't show) but she has a really nice stud(both his parents are AKC Champs) he's rather small and short faced....She has 2 girls, both are really nice...she has a litter of 3 that are 4 weeks old...I THINK there are 2 girls.....if your interested the breeders name is Raeanne and her phone number is ___________.... Hope this helps....tell her I (Leslie Riley) refured you

What do you think?

If you pay for a purebred puppy from a breeder, you want a puppy whose parents are show dogs. That the grandparents are champions is not the same. The problem is that any two champion-quality dogs produce puppies that are off the standard enough that they will never finish or even do well in the show ring. These are puppies who should not be bred when they mature - these are the puppies you're looking for as a pet. Anyone who breeds AKC purebreds without showing the parents in conformation is a backyard breeder, even if they take wonderful care of their dogs and socialize and love them. The puppies are worth the same as a litter of mixed-breed puppies raised in similarly loving conditions. So if this woman is selling the pups for about $50, it's fine. But if she wants $600 for them, they're not worth it.

noludoru

Bored Now.
Casablanca stated it well, Sp. (Do you have a nickname to go by, btw?)

You see, if you're paying 600-1000 for a dog, you MUST get your money's worth. Otherwise, it's like throwing it down the drain. When you get dogs from a breeder who doesn't show (and PROVE that their dogs are worthy breeding material, the best there is) or health test you're essentially buying mutt-quality dogs from mutt-quality parents. Breeding is an expensive hobby, and it's bringing dogs into a world already overpopulated with animals that need loving homes--the dogs that are being bred need to be truly worth being bred.

So, with that said.. why don't you go with Yorkies? If they're fairly hypoallergenic (hypoallergenic DOES NOT mean that they are allergen-free, just that they are LESS likely to cause/aggravate allergies) and your mom and uncle are allergic, it's a better idea for you to get a dog that won't aggravate their allergies. Besides, allergies can be hereditary, and you could develop an allergy to dogs, as well.

There are also some things you need to be thinking about right NOW... in addition to finding a good breeder (although a rescue would be better, cheaper, and more inexperienced-dog-owner-friendly) you need to be thinking about:
-FOOD. What are you going to be feeding this dog? Whatever's cheapest off the shelf is NOT a good option. Iams, Eukanuba, Pedigree, Science Diet, etc are all the foods that are heavily marketed, but they're very bad for your dog. I personally think raw is the best you can feed your dog, but if that grosses you out, there are other "kibble" type foods that are high-quality. (Think of Science diet and anything else you'd find in Petco/petsmart/etc as feeding your dog junk food--that's what it is.) A great site is: http://www.naturapet.com/
- POTTY-TRAINING: You're getting a puppy, and they need to be housebroken. Small breed pups are notoriously harder to housebreak if you've never housebroken a dog before.
Also, an important thing is how your mom's fiance and his kids are going to treat the dog. If the kids are little brats, they could be tempted to mistreat or hurt it, and if the fiance doesn't like dogs, that could cause dissent and ultimately end up in the rehoming of the dog. Just some things to chat about with your mom. Good luck.

sp0322

Yeaa. you can just call me steph:) Okay I get what your going at with the showing.. Yorkies do seem like a better idea because they are hypoallergenic. What I will be feeding it is homemade food. My neighbors decided after the whol pet food thing that was contiminated she started making her own.. Just a basic thing.. For potty training we have some bad winters so using puppy pads would be great during the winter.. What do you think?

For what it's worth, I find my sister's Yorkie does provoke my allergies. A lot depends on the individual dog/person. But if you go with Yorkies, treat them like real dogs - they're terriers before they're toys, and they can take it. Real walks, normal pace (not the tiny step amble some people do to accomodate the short legs) and take them to some nice parks where they can scramble around and get filthy. Forget the puppy pads - take that little dog out in the snow and make him love it. Don't forget to factor in grooming - that long coat gets fuzzy and messy quick and the puppy clip is the way to go.

noludoru

Bored Now.
I've heard bad things about puppy pads, Steph. Bad things along the lines of "EEK! My puppy thinks the house is okay to go in!" and "OH NO! I have to re-housebreak her to get her to go outside!" I'd do some serious research on the pro cons of those before buying, because, as Casablanca said, Yorkies are TERRIERS... not cute little stuffed animals. They're little dogs in a big dog's body. If you have 5 foot drifts, you'll have to scrape some away for the little monster when you get/him/her, but if it's something the dog can manage--snow should be enjoyed. Oh, and an important small-dog-housetraining tip: NEVER pick the dog up to take him/her to the bathroom. Walk the pup to the door and out into the yard, or they won't learn where to go as easily and quickly.

If you're doing homemade, please do some real research on what you'll be feeding your dog. A cutesy book with recipes is NOT enough. Salt and sugar are bad. Raisins and grapes are bad. Garlic can kill in large amounts.. etc. Our Food forums here can help, though, and there are recipe posts there as well. I'd make a thread if I were you and ask for some links to good nutrition sites.. I had a few, and I'd love to give them to you, but dumb me deleted the folder, and it's not in my recycle bin. You're going to read this everywhere.. but variety is the key for anything's diet. :)

Also, a question for anyone reading this that is familiar with Yorkies.. how are they on stairs? I'm only familiar with some BYB "teacup" yorkies, and there were too small to get up the stairs very well.

Steph, one thing I'd love it if you'd seriously consider.. not only for yourself, but for the thousands of homeless Yorkies out there... is Breed Rescue. If you get a dog from a rescue, you can get an adult dog that has already lived in a home and is housebroken, and you won't have to deal with the horrors of puppyhood. Adult dogs will bond with you just as strongly as a puppy will, and you'll have the help and resources of experienced Yorkie owners to help you pick out a dog that suits your particular housing/etc requirements.

sp0322

Haha.. she'll have my huge yard to run around in when she learns the boundries then we have two fenced in areas that are really rig she'll like.. The coat will be kept long unless its too hot for the summers.. I don't mind keeping it up with brushing and bathing. As for walks right now I don't really take my dog for long walks he is extremly diobedient on a leash even after consistent training.. we did adopt him when he was two a nd he was already trained to be a hunting dog ahd he never really wore a leash until now.. Hes pretty happyn with just running around in many circles around the pool he likes to race people :) he also like the rabbit and other animal smells around that area he gots crazy :) Your sister's yorkie provokes your allergies? I have to be careful I don't wanna get my mom's allergies to go off.. Is a chihuahua any better with allergies?

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I have 3 chihuahuas :) I love the breed. Just be careful that you get a well bred dog... my Madison is from a BYB, and he definately has some baggage. He has some aggression issues... and I've seen the same in many BYB/puppymill chis.

Have you thought about buying a chi from out of state? You definately want to go with a breeder who shows and health tests... also, make sure you go to a breeder who uses AKC.

A responsible breeder will NOT breed for "deerheads," and will not breed bitches weighing less than 4.5lbs.

sp0322

I understand where your coming from.. I'm starting to think if the yorkie has too much energy I know all dogs have energy but from what I heard it sounds like they have more.. As for recipes I know most of the bad foods that are okay for us and not for them.. With BYBs selling 'teacup' yorkies and chis i know its crap.. There is only one type of yorkie and for a chi its either long or short coat.. As for rescuing if I rescue I would like to rescue a puppy.. but when I contacted the closest one they didn't have any and even got irritated when I asked if any of their females were pregnant.. As for bringing an adult dog into the house.. my cat wouldn't tolerate it.. My cat would be okay with a puppy because its so much smaller than him and the puppy would grow up with him.. Also if the yorkie is okay with cats that means that if he went up to my cat right of the start my cat would flip out and possibly bit him.. Not a good thing..

sp0322

I have looked at some breeders out of state but in NH and south ME there arent really any.. I have found breeders through AKC and local clubs.. I also asked my vet office if they know any breeders.

Maxy24

Be careful with vets breeder recommendations. I've heard hat some will still refer you to BYB. Also check CT and RI for breeders. I'll look at some rescues and see if they have any puppies, I'll be back soon if I find some.

noludoru

Bored Now.
even got irritated when I asked if any of their females were pregnant..

Most rescues would. Rescues recue, they don't breed. I've only known a handful of breed rescues that have ever gotten their hands on pregnant females, and from what I've heard, it's not terribly fun. Puppies are slightly more common, but still rare in rescues.

sp0322

I asked because I had read something somewhere so I was like okay well if they rescue from puppy mills then there is probably a female whose pregnant and I didn't think they'd get irritated.. I mean its not like I expected them to breed I just wanted to know.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Please go through the breed club, and do not go by vet recommendations. Our old vet suggested that we should stud Madison (our BYB, completely out of breed standards chi!).

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
just a note on the puppy pad training, if thats whats convenient to you, by all means its a method that CAN be used.

my dogs are NOT babied in any way shape or form, but when it snows they WONT go outside, i mean would you honestly go out in 3 ft of snow in bare feet?! no its painfull, tried boots didnt help so we puppy pad trained, the puppy pad is in a large litter box and the dogs know they go IN the box ON the pad, but i can take that pad with me anywhere i go and they know to go only ON the pad. they also do go outside when the weathers fine, but if its cold or rainy or snowing they have that option, its also an easy opition for dogs that might be alone long periods or say on days you might be a little late from school ect.
Its also super handy for us as our chis come to my dads boat with us, we go out for full days and instead of worrying about being back before their little bladders explode we can put down a pad and have no issues.

Yorkies ARE better for allergy sufferers than chis, however both can agrivate allergies.

if your looking for a dog that shouldnt agrivate allergies, look into bichon and poodle. (NO chi-poos ect though)

sp0322

I personally don't like bichon and poodles.. I had a really bad experience with a poodle when I was younger.. We have a cat and dog that shed so I know that she can handle it. I think the puppy pad is the best way to go.. As for choosing I really like both and when putting it together I came up with a chihuahua.

They are small they are proud.. and I'm sure won't let my cat be the boss of them.. I like the fact that they come in long and short coat and have different colors.. I like there temperment more than yorkies who are prone to get into trouble according to this website (dogbreedinfo) I liek that chis are attached to their owners.. I don't know.. btw Foxy your chis are adorable :)

Maxy24

I also have to vote against puppy pads. small dogs can and should go outside too. Your other dog goes to the bathroom outside right?I have personally never met any body who has had success with the pads. Even if they can get them to go on them, as soon as they move the pads they continue peeing where it used to be. Dogs have trouble learning that they can pee inside, yet they can't pee inside there is a very small different between a puppy pad and the carpet. There's a big difference between the carpet and outside plus most dogs enjoy the fresh air and new smells the out doors provide.

sp0322

My dog now is puppy pad trained because when he was a hunting dog he went whenever and then he only went out eery few hours so we used that and going outside.. Now that he can hold his bladder he goes outside.. I think that training both ways would work. but during winter it can be hard.. Lucas whose a beagle lived outside in Maine near canada and he hates winters.

my dogs are NOT babied in any way shape or form, but when it snows they WONT go outside, i mean would you honestly go out in 3 ft of snow in bare feet?! no its painfull, tried boots didnt help so we puppy pad trained, the puppy pad is in a large litter box and the dogs know they go IN the box ON the pad, but i can take that pad with me anywhere i go and they know to go only ON the pad. they also do go outside when the weathers fine, but if its cold or rainy or snowing they have that option, its also an easy opition for dogs that might be alone long periods or say on days you might be a little late from school ect.
Its also super handy for us as our chis come to my dads boat with us, we go out for full days and instead of worrying about being back before their little bladders explode we can put down a pad and have no issues.
I 100% disagree with you. I know many chis don't like cold weather, especially short coats ones, but I do not believe at all it hurts their paws.

I raised Charlie from a puppy, he loves it outside in the winter and would never come in unless I made him half the time. Dogs are dogs, they have protection on their paws. I think its a lot easier on their paws in the snow than on walks on pavement.

I personally don't like pee pads, and to anyone considering using them I state this. I don't travel with my cat and her litter box and I will not take a litter box with my dog either.

They are also terrible if other dogs are around. Our friends had one on their floor and my very well house trained dog marked their couch right by the pad, duh :lol-sign:

I also wanted to say I am really happy the op is looking at all the scenarios, you are very mature for your age.

Members online

No members online now.