Pet References

Locke

I'm filling out an adoption application and they are asking for three pet references, not including my vet.

The only pet references I can think of are Matrix's physio doctors, the man I adopted my last poodle from, and a pet store employee where I buy dog food.

Who else might qualify as a pet reference? If someone had never had a pet before, who are they supposed to put down?

MericoX

Roos, Poos, & a Wog!
Perhaps any groomer you've used could be a reference?

That seems pretty odd, though I've had no experience with rescues.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Basically, they're looking for people that can say "yes, she will be/is good with pets and won't abuse it" or whatever. You could definitely use friends. You could even use chazzers, though I'd do someone that could say they are with a rescue or a trainer or other pet related "thing" and know what they're talking about in the persons eyes. I've been a reference for a chazzer before for similar lol

Equinox

What Jess said. I've had to provide references before and I always use forum friends :D

CaliTerp07

When we adopted Lucy, we did not have a vet reference or any prior landlord references or anything like that. The rescue understood she was our first pet.

Today, I'd put my trainer and my dog friends.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Yeah I totally made stuff up when I applied for Happy. I put down both of my sisters (they're married, so different last names) and I think I told them to just say I do pet sitting for them.

If I hadn't been so impulsive in sending in the application, I probably would have used people from the pet store I used to work at, or Chazzers! But I didn't want to waste time trying to get a hold of people so that I could ask them :p

So I just went the dishonest route.

Equinox

I think I'm a reference for about a billion of you guys, heh. Have yet to have a single call, though.
Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure I've listed you as a reference at least 3 or 4 times... HAHA I've been giving out your number to strangers! Actually might have just been your e-mail. If I had listed the numbers, the variety in area codes would have been just a little too crazy.

Huh. Depending on which reference they contacted, they would have learned that I lived in Michigan, Minnesota, and a few places along the East Coast. All while attending school in Oregon!

Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure I've listed you as a reference at least 3 or 4 times... HAHA I've been giving out your number to strangers! Actually might have just been your e-mail. If I had listed the numbers, the variety in area codes would have been just a little too crazy.

Huh. Depending on which reference they contacted, they would have learned that I lived in Michigan, Minnesota, and a few places along the East Coast. All while attending school in Oregon!
I'll talk to any old stranger that calls me up.

I go with the old stand by "I used to live there." ;) Now, if they do call and you actually turn out to be a 60 year old cat hoarder I'll be very annoyed I endorsed you!

MicksMom

Another suggestion is neighbors, or, if you rent, your land lord. Basicaly, like has already been said, you want to put down people who can say you take care of your pets.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I used my trainers and my other dogs' breeders. But that was for a breeder application, not a rescue. I probably should have used a chazzer. Y'all know more about my dogs than most anyone.

k9krazee

I used three colleagues/close friends of mine and Ken's. I didn't expect they'd actually be called so I didn't mention to my colleagues that they might be getting out of state calls. Surprise for all of us...including Ken who didn't know I had submitted the application and had to find out when our references started calling HIM for details!

So, whoever it is, I recommend you give em a heads up! lol

Locke

Oh great thanks! I was worried I would be overlooked with my references. Mind is now at ease!

Members online

No members online now.