Dog Parks - whats your opinion?

Brattina88

What's you opinion on dog parks??
Anyone had experiances to support their opinion?
And in general about dogs meeting strange dogs in misc. places, like the park, a pet store, or a simple walk around the block

http://www.leerburg.com/dogparks.htm
What do you think about this?

F

fastpitchchic

I've taken my pups to dog parks and haven't had problems. I follow them closely also and watch the interaction with other dogs. I would think that because a dog park, pet store etc are neutral places that not many problems would arise?

keyodie

Keyozilla
I think dog parks are great. I take my dog there, and he has fun all the time. As long as the rules are kept (clean up poop, no aggressive dogs, no contaminated dogs, etc...) I think there is no reason it is a bad idea. Unless someone can tell me one, of course. :p

I'm really paranoid, so I would never let Coco run around a park off-leash. but I love taking him for a walk to meet other dogs. just as long as I know that I could pull him away at any second if they get aggressive.

I think it depends. Probably the thing that I don't like most about dog parks is that you don't really know the dogs that are going to be there. You don't know if they're trained or not, if they're aggressive, if they're good with kids...

Julie

I am back again.
I think dog parks are a bad thing. It can never be controlled enough to trust the other visitors. I would never visit one with my dogs. The first time a confrontation from another dog, would be the last.

I think when strange dogs meet they should always be leashed and under control.

A dog park is visited by too many novice dog owners, and the situations that arise could cause a great deal of unwanted situations.

Not to mention unvaccinated pups and dogs that frequent the areas.

Just asking for problems........

T

tessa_s212

We don't have dog parks around here. I probably wouldn't visit one, and if I did you'd bet that I'd figure out a time to go when NO ONE else was there. ;) But I am lucky enough to have a gigantic fenced in back yard for my dogs.

wed ont have them here, personally if we did I would stay clear, any oputbreaks will be passed along to a lot of dogs, i have herd both good and bad most bad things seem to happen because of people not following the rules

Sheba

I W A L R
If we went there, Wendy might get a teeny bit aggressive. Sometimes, when we are taking walks, though, dogs will bark at her, and she stands taller and fluffs up her fur, also carrying her head high. I think she is already the leader of the pack... I might be able to find a pic of her doing it, hold on...

sort of like that, but her tail is straight up, curved a little at the tip, and he head is straight up but her nose is pointing foreward.

Last edited:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
if you go to this site it takes a minute for it to download..i usually minimize and then visit on chaz until i hear the dogs barking and then i know it has started..anyways, here is my dog park..Vic's disneyland and my happy place.. http://www.ourmedia.org/node/22496 Zoom's sawyer is the aussie in the beginning of the video..this picture is worth all my words.:D

keyodie

Keyozilla
^AWW!!! That is such a cute video!

When Charlie visits the dog park, all he does is run and run while being chased by other dogs and play with other dogs. It's good excercise, too. :p

But I do agree that it is a little dangerous when your dog meets another dog that you don't know.

sorry as I am a dog park virgin lol, so does any one worry about Parvo and other probs there? becasue in a place like a dog park i would of thaught it very easy for things to be passed on to a lot of dogs quickly

Juicy

Great for socialization, as long as everyone abides by the rules, no dogs with dog aggressive (if so, keep them muzzle and under control, like I said for socialization purpose some I known to get socialize and get along with dogs by bringing them to dog parks, with caution of course), no dogs without shots, no dogs in heat, great place for dogs IMO.

Juicy

BigDog2191 said:
I think they're fine. Good way to get in some socialization. But no kid under the age of 13 should be there.
I disagree with that there are some great dog handlers younger than that.

Juicy

smkie said:
Vic's disneyland and my happy place..
:D agreed, what more joy to dogs than a doggie park its like disneyland for them, I also want to take them to this dog beach close by to the park

BigDog2191 said:
I think they're fine. Good way to get in some socialization. But no kid under the age of 13 should be there.
I have to disagree with that also. IMO, as long as the kid is mature and under the parent's control it's fine. But I don't think people should bring LITTLE kids...I would never even consider bringing my nephew (who is three) to a dog park when he visits.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Juicy said:
I disagree with that there are some great dog handlers younger than that.
It doesn't matter. At that age, the MAJORITY of kids are NOT great dog handlers. And you don't know whether dogs are use to kids/even like them. And in a park, you're letting the dogs run loose, no handling taking place. I knew a kid around that age that started RUNNING around the dog-park saying "They're CHASING ME!" :rolleyes:

He could've seriously gotten hurt. These dogs are running trying to catch each other, at HIGH speeds. I've gotten nearly knocked down, I've seen other people get knocked down, and I've seen people get hit VERY hard. Imagine a mother with a stroller, two Great Danes chasing each other accidentally hit it. What happens then? The baby could get hurt very badly. And then guess what happens? It's trial time!

Like I said, it's in EVERYBODY's best interest to let kids only over 13 into the dog park. And that's being lenient. One of the only dog-parks in Baton Rouge doesn't let kids over 16 get in.

Members online

No members online now.