Socially confident breeds

Catsi

In your experience, what breeds generally seem to be socially confident in nature and lack a predisposition to DA?

Socially confident and lacking DA... Socially confident should be the APBT, but part of that confidence is scrappiness with other dogs.

I've found that a lot of Boxers are socially confident as well. At least in the sense that they're outgoing. Excitable and wiggly, but totally confident that you're there to give them luvs. There isn't a complete lack of DA, but more a chance they'll get along with other dogs than with the first response. LOL!

Catsi

Socially confident and lacking DA... Socially confident should be the APBT, but part of that confidence is scrappiness with other dogs.

I've found that a lot of Boxers are socially confident as well. At least in the sense that they're outgoing. Excitable and wiggly, but totally confident that you're there to give them luvs. There isn't a complete lack of DA, but more a chance they'll get along with other dogs than with the first response. LOL!
Yes, I have found that with Staffords. A breed which I LOVE.

Sorry to be dense Sael, but are you talking Smooth/rough collies? Or any 'collies'? Thanks for your suggestions everyone. I thought Lab might get a mention.

Saeleofu

Smooth and rough both. I don't have any experience with other collie types, aside from fearful BYB border collies at the clinic.

In my experience, boxers tend to be DA/DR. Socially confident with people, yes, but jerks with other dogs.

Bailey08

Goldens are supposed to be confident dogs; it's even in the breed standard. :)

It's something (among dozens more, lol) I prioritized when selecting a breeder.

Zhucca

Lab Love
On the doodle bit, how are poodles? I have actually never met a standard poodle in person. It seems like people are more likely to own mixes than purebreds.
Every Standard Poodle I'vet met has been fantastic with other dogs. That's dog daycare experience...

Otherwise I echo the usual breeds. Labs, goldens, beagles.. and most of the Shih Tzu/bichon things I've known are always good. If they're not fearful due to lack of socialization.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Most GSDs I've met have been socially confidant, but are prone to same sex DA.

I've met quite a few fearful Goldens (in daycare) but most of them are extremely outgoing. Labradors too.

Locke

All of the standard poodles I know are good, if slightly reserved with human strangers, but very good with other dogs. They can be over the top with other dogs, but have a similar play style to labs and sometimes boxers. They do tend to recognize other poodles and will be drawn to them over other dogs.

The only standard poodle I know that is totally fearful of strangers, both human and canine is my poodle, but he is a poorly bred specimen with epilepsy that has really effected his behaviour.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
Whatever you find will vary within the spectrum of canine behavior. Badly socialized, poorly bred, weak nerves exist in all breeds but if I had to pick breeds that tended to be social soundness (neutral or better) minus true DA I would pick these:

Not a terrier
Not a working breed unless a spitz w/o a guarding history
I would also probably stay out of the herding group

So the breeds that come to mind for me are huskies, sammies, retrievers, beagles, bassets, shibas, papillons, frenchies, pekes, cavaliers, greyhounds, poodles, bichons, and clumbers.

k9krazee

labs and beagles were the first two to pop into my head.
Ah, but the mix of these two (aka my Jack) is socially inept and didn't get the memo, unfortunately. :( But he could totally be a product of his environment, he was raised in a kennel situation until I brought him home at 5 months and I've been doing damage control since.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Most doodles I've met are rather socially inept, actually.
We have 4 regular doodle clients at my work, 1 labra and 3 goldens. The labradoodle is a sweetie but DA and especially vicious with small dogs outside of it's home (it lives with a border collie & a dachshund). The goldendoodles are sweet dogs but all a bit spacey, the female is friendly but shy and a bit pushy/defensive with other dogs, the older male is shy and growly/distrusting with strange humans and avoids other dogs at any given chance, the puppy is pretty good with people but not great with other dogs.

Of course this is just one example of many. My labs and golden clients as well as my poodle clients are all pretty good with humans and dogs. Two of my labs are overly rough (one has learned to gentle things up a bit) but else-wise it's all in good fun for them.

Members online

No members online now.