I'm in trouble - Ridgeback

milos_mommy

I have accidentally fallen in love with a dog.

He is a rhodesian ridgeback.

I'm not sure if most ridgebacks are very much like him, but I hope so.

First of all, he's BIG. 110 lbs, pretty tall and lean....at first I thought he was mixed with great dane (I've only ever seen a ridgeback in pics before).

He's serious. Way more serious than most of my other favorite goofy breeds (JRTs, Boxers, pit bulls, etc.). I think stoic is a good word for him. He's older, too...I'm not sure how old, maybe 7 or 8? In great shape, but greying and with a couple of lumps.

The first few times I met him he just sort of hung back...let me pet him but didn't see interested in me and walked off when I was done. Then, the other day when I saw him, he came over and gave me a kiss on the cheek. He does tricks for me, too.

Last night, I was hanging out with him (he's the owner of doggy day care's dog) and I started trying to play with him...I was going up to him and kind of making kissing noises at him and then turning away, trying to get him to come play. He just stared at me totally blankly, so I looked him and said "you are so serious! Can I have a kiss?" And he trotted over and kissed me all over the face. Then I walked away, and he came and started headbutting me and nudging me and trying to be all silly, like he understood that I wanted him to be less serious. Then I massaged him all over and he followed me around for the rest of the night.

He doesn't seem to be super, super protective, but definitely has a watch-dog kind of vibe and instinct. He'll bark and try and separate other dogs he thinks are playing too rough, and if any of the dogs sass at the handlers he's right there putting them back in their place. Seems like he'd be really slow to actually snap or bite, though.

Any experience? Even though I'd almost definitely rescue....any good breeders? I'm not brave enough to ask Toronto's owner for the breeder's name :cool: yet...

MicksMom

A teacher where I work got a Ridgeback from Kimani Kennels. I haven't seen her dog, but I know she's very happy with her. Everything you said about the RR you met sounds like what I've read about them.

Sounds just like the RR's I've known when I worked at petsmart. The female of the pair (littermates) was a little more goofy and she actually jumped up and headbutted me giving me thes nastiest bloody lip I have ever had, but it wasn't her fault.

They are AWESOME dogs. Love em

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Funny you posted this tonight. I just got back from spending an hour and a half with a ridgeback. I haven't really been around them much before this. This was a young girl and boy was she a lot of energy! She was just all over the place and bouncy and LOUD. I don't know if it's just her but she barked and barked all night. And she was definitely humongous.

Toller_08

I know a few Ridgebacks, and I absolutely love them. My only problem with them, and the only reason I won't have one, is that like many hounds, they do usually have a pretty strong independent "stubborn" streak (I've been told by owners). That said, they appear to be a little more biddable than many other hounds. They're aloof and reserved with strangers, but friendly. They adore their families, but show it in different ways. The older male I know, Griffin, is very reserved and stoic and doesn't like to goof off too much. He's not overly snuggly and doesn't appear to be a very loving dog, but he subtly shows his affection and loyalty to his mom in other ways. Rhonin, the younger male, is super exuberant, and always very happy-go-lucky. He's the sweetest, most loving dog I've ever met. He loves pretty much everything, and he thinks his mom/owner is the best thing to have ever happened to him. He's just a complete joy to be around -- if all Ridgebacks were like Rhonin, I'd have one in an instant. He's one of my most favourite dogs. Then there is Zuri, a young female, who is a completely nutcase, haha. That dog has energy to burn! She's sort of inbetween Griffin and Rhonin -- she's reserved with strangers, but still happy enough about meeting people. Not overly exuberant like Rhonin, but not as stand off-ish "why must you people touch me?" as Griff. All three of them vary pretty greatly in that aspect (regarding people/strangers). Rhonin is the most trainable of all three, just because he's such a mama's boy. Griffin is very much a "why should I?", "Ok, if I must" kind of a dog. Zuri, again, is in between. She likes to learn and is quite willing to try something, but every once in a while she's say forget it and goes to find something better to do, haha. Their owners all say that they need a good hour of exercise a day, and once they have that, they're more than content to sleep the rest of the day away.

Ridgebacks shouldn't be too big, but they definitely have substance. I think the two boys I know are roughly 110lbs, but they're all muscle. Zuri is about 85-90lbs I think her owner said once.

BostonBanker

I used to house-sit for a male Ridgeback who made me fall for the breed. Very aloof and quiet when he had on his "public" face, but a tiny bit goofy and sweet when behind closed doors. While he was not the most obedient dog, he also didn't seem to wander much; I assume it was due to his protective instincts around the house.

I had always written them off, as I am not a fan of either wandering hounds or protective instincts, but I've since met another woman who has several who have competed through very high levels of obedience. Her dogs are great and listen fairly well. I don't know that I'll ever actually end up with one, but I am a big fan of the breed none the less.

Pops2

ridgebacks are more of a cur in personality & performance. a lot of nonhunting & not serious workers out there but there are some very serious dogs out there also, so finding one to fit you shouldn't be torture.

milos_mommy

Keep in mind they were bred to hunt African lion.
I think I've said this about 90 times in the past two days. "I'm thinking about getting a rhodesian ridgeback. They were bred to hunt lions in Zimbabwe, formerly rhodesia. They look kind of like a sighthound but big and tough enough to fight a lion." LA LA LA I'm obsessed.

Doberooney

I bark, therefore I am
We have a 5 month old male RR. He is so much different than my Doberman in so many ways. My brother says he's boring!! Compared to the Doberman, I totally agree but he's a really mellow puppy, all in all.

Yes, they need an hour of exercise daily and yes, once gotten, content to chill. However, unlike my Doberman, he will not play fetch; He much prefers to wrestle with other dogs. He's reserved with strangers (he seems more interested in kids than adults), and great with other dogs. Definitely has selective hearing but is very motivated by food.

Here's a pic from last month..

milos_mommy

What a gorgeous pup!!

Question...if there is 3 feet of snow on the ground, and all the dog gets is three 10-15 minute walks, is he going to go nuts for that one day (in a very small apartment)? Keep in mind I'm looking at an 8 year old dog and most likely wouldn't consider one under 5.

Members online