Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Designed for Love

Default Question about marrow bone bacteria..

Alot of times when I give Lily a little marrow bone she will hide it somewhere instead of chewing on it like she used to do. I usually would find it and wrap it back up and put it back in the frige. Last time I just let it be and she hid it around the house for several days before finally chomping down on it. By that time it was pretty dried out. My question is, after it sits out so long, is it full of harmful bacteria for her? It didn't seem to do her any harm last time. Right now there is a little marrow bone under the back of the computer desk that I gave her about 2 hours ago. I just keep imagining it getting full of germs and growing things .... but I think their digestive systems are different than ours... so I am hoping she is safe, eating old, unrefrigerated, laying around bones???.... any replies would be much appreciated... thank you.....

Old 03-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Top Dog

There's probably a lot of bacteria in a plain, "fresh" raw marrow bone too. Dogs have short, acidic digestive tracts that handle bacteria much better than ours. It's no guarantee she won't get an upset stomach from it, but it shouldn't bother them the way it does us.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:37 PM
Top Dog

I wouldn't worry considering the rotten stuff my dogs used to find in the woods .!! If you're worried , freeze a day .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 03-08-2008, 05:55 PM
Are you dead yet?

Bah, I have huge marrow bones sitting around for WEEKS before the dogs clean them out completely. They don't stink or appear "rotten" (yet, oddly, they turn green and moldy if I refrigerate them for more than a few days) and it doesn't affect the dogs at all.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Designed for Love

Thanks, everyone...I appreciate the replies.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:54 PM
and Fozzie B!

Fozzie buries his knuckle bones, all the live-long time! It's disgusting, and I make sure he doesn't bring them inside, but I don't feel they are bad for him at all. If anything, all of the bacteria from the soil is good for him.

"Whatchu mean I can't bring my week-old muddy bone inside?!"

I would be cautious, if the bone was left around the house, with raw marrow still inside. It would gross me out, to be honest. But I don't allow raw anywhere in the house except for crates.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie