Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-25-2005, 05:50 PM
Show Dog

Default how much food?

We just switched our golden lab puppies to eagle pack and the bag says to feed them 2/3 cup per feeding. Daisy always finishes hers and Jedi comes very close. Should we increase what they are eating or are they getting the right amount. They are 11 weeks old.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:46 PM
Top Dog

I would stick to it for now. If they get skinny, definitely increase. Keep in mind that if you give them treats, you are actually over the recommended dose.

Although I am very curious if it's actually a problem to overfeed a puppy... Tips is eating like a pig, a little over the recommended dose, plus treats. But he's put on weight, which was the goal
Old 07-25-2005, 09:31 PM
Quigleyfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran27
Although I am very curious if it's actually a problem to overfeed a puppy...
a big, resounding yes is the answer.

overfeeding a puppy is one of the worst mistakes you can make, especially in large breed puppies.

if you don't restrict food intake, the puppy will grow at the maximum possible rate, which gives the body very little chance to adjust all the different growth processes - e.g. you get rapid bone growth that the muscles can't keep up with and so on. the result are various orthopedic problems, some of which are more serious than others, and the consequences of some of these can affect your dog for the rest of its life.

all that aside, the following article also provides interesting reading:
http://www.news.cornell.edu/Chronicl.../dog-diet.html
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 07-25-2005, 11:51 PM
Twin 2.0

I have seen some enormously fat puppies come through work recently, mainly bulldogs. So yeah, you can overfeed a puppy. It's sad.

The rib test is applicable to all stages of life, yes? If so, go with that. Be able to easily feel their ribs when you run a hand down their sides, but you shouldn't be able to *see* the ribs.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:22 AM
Rusty but Trusty

yeah you can overfeed a puppy. I saw a fat puppy at petsmart the other day and the owner thought it was funny too. He was joking that all the puppy does is sit and the couch and watch tv and eat chips all day.