Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-31-2008, 06:54 PM
Are you dead yet?

Drive for what? Ball? Food? Stockwork?

Drive is an outlet for energy, and high energy without a couple strong drives is (IMO) disastrous. Think of a poorly bred Dalmatian or Setter - hyper as hell, without any direction to their energy. Dogs like that literally need to have the energy run out of them, because they usually won't have the focus for a long game of fetch or an intense training session.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:05 PM
Water Junkie

Hmm, ok.

Here's what I'm worried about if he gets an Aussie.....even coming from a good breeder:

1. The dog will have to much drive (as in wanting to herding) for him to handle making me the one that does stuff with the dog.

2. Bad habbits will form because the dog doesn't have an outlet for his energy other than (ATM) long walks and/or training sessions.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 01-31-2008, 07:15 PM
Twin 2.0

That's a possibility with any dog he gets, given his criteria though. I still say that A) he needs to look for something around a year old and B) just meet the dog first.

I hesitate to suggest a Setter, though I have known some really good ones. However, the one I'm dealing with on a daily basis right now is absolutley insane. I've pretty much got most of the reasons figured out (lack of direction, lack of exercise, lack of a consistant boss), but it's not helping a whole lot because she's not mine and she's developing OCD outlets for her energy.

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 01-31-2008, 07:47 PM
Water Junkie

Plus, the real problem is, I can't find any working breeders near us (I've looked TN, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, and FL!). Either no one will get back with my dad or they aren't having any litters.

Zoom, I did look at the aussie rescue site you've given out to a few people, and they didn't have much in this area either.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 01-31-2008, 08:09 PM
Are you dead yet?

Is he opposed to going to a shelter and getting a dog there, Jen?
Old 01-31-2008, 08:35 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
Really?! Chinook? My friend (who used to come here) had a Chinook. The dog was a rescue dog, but still, not something I would recommend for him. Are breeders pretty rare? I'm in South AL.

I'm not worried about energy, so much as drive.
Do you know where the dog came from? I'd be very surprised if it were an actual Chinook unless it was a breeder-assisted rehome or national rescue referral.

I'd have to understand more about what you're referring to as drive. Although some Chinooks have passed herding instinct tests, I would not find them comparable at all to the true herding breeds as they have nowhere near the energy, focus or intensity. Prey drive is also only moderate in most dogs and they can lean to respect cats and other household pets though they may still catch wild rabbits and squirrels. Know that Chinooks DO have a strong pack drive and want to be with you no matter what, so the breed would be a no-no for someone wanting a dog that could tolerate long periods alone or who dislikes a "needy" dog or wants a dog that can entertain itself.

Debbie
Old 02-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Water Junkie

Grace, it might be that he whines up doing just that.

Chinooks, my friend's dog came from the shelter/pound, I guess she was going to be PTS if no one took her. Thats a whole 'nother story, though.

l ~Jennifer~ l