Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Just try me..

LOL I am sure ppl know my opinion on this. Dog breeds look the way they do because of their job (with the exceptions of companion dogs like pugs..) But I know many working BC who also have insane ball drive. I don't think just because a dog can do what it was bred for, that it can't do other things.

Its like the PRT. How long has the Parson been recoginzed? Already you are seeing deep chests (won't fit down a hole) upright shoulders (can't manuver in the hole) Soft wispy curly coats (not at all practical in a working dog) So even if these dogs still had the drive to work, they are systematically being bred to be unable to. But in this case they did give them a new name.

Zoom, are they actually purebred pugs? There is a woman in the states selling 'pure bred' Longhaired whippets, that are anything but.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:34 PM
Twin 2.0

As far as I know, but given the fact that these people went back and got another one (I call them Pinhead Pugs, because that's what they look like) it's completely possible they are mixes. There are some really bad breeders around here and we're just a hop/skip/jump from Puppymill Land.

It's up for debate as to whether or not Virgo is "pure" Lab, though most signs point to "yes"...she's not a stocky, chunky Rottie-wanna-be show line like most people picture these days, and I haven't seen enough well-bred Field Labs to be certain that she's one of those and not just a BYB-product. However, judging by what I read of what Labs "should" act and look like, I'm going to go with field-line...perhaps not strictly field-bred but field line. She's got too many brains to be a BYB, IMO.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:39 PM
Just try me..

If you ever want to meet a bunch of field labs to see if Virgo is the same, just find a local field trial. Tho from your siggy she looks like a field lab.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:41 PM
Twin 2.0

Planning to this spring. Smkie and I are going to go together. Debating whether or not to take Virgo along just to get opinions or not...I don't know how she is with gunshots and I don't want to freak her out.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Are you dead yet?

Virgo actually LOOKS like a well-bred field-type Lab. Maybe not directly from a great breeder, but she looks like she has decent lines behind her.