If You Are Thinking of Becoming A Breeder

Fran27

I was thinking, maybe we could make a 'dog breeding' forum, and post it as stickied? Not sure it's a very good idea, but it might be a good idea to have a forum dedicated to breeding, with some info stickied or something...

S

stirder

I agree, it would be a good place for good breeders to post comments and for those thinking they may have a lot of fun and make a lot of money by breeding their "perfect" dog to ask questions and get honest, good advice.

Its so hard reading her story, but at least she learned a hard lesson, I give her credit for that, some arent as smart as she is and dont get it, I agree with the others, her post could open up a way for others to see what its really like to breed their pretty dog just to have a puppy. I'm on my 3rd rottie rescue and they all came from BYB and all had problems of one kind or another. I agree a new breeding forum would get alot of attention.

WOW-great

Great post too bad in Molosser breeds i found most dont do anything but are able to market the rare breeds to consumers without ever doing anything to prove why the dogs they should be bred ...

Due to the Rarity of the dog most people dont seem to ask the questions of why the breeder is breeding and so on and so forth..

Sometimes with breeds that everyone knows you have so many ethical breeders than when a shitty one comes along the good ones get together and help educate the so called newbie and the new owners.

Where in rare breeds you can be the only one doing the right thing and you feel a huge pressure to back off of ethics since most of them dont have it , in some breeds.

Sad really

JD

well i would like to breed the gentle giant and would like some feedback from someone who knows and thats not just in it for the money.. thanks hotbernard..

daniele

im a breeder.. I breed german shepherds and rotties.. they are both gorgeous animals.. but, i dont sell them for a high price.. It depends on the litter and if i train them.. I put a lot of effort into my dogs.. If i sell them some go for exspensive because they have been trained to protect family or there job..

I am a Breeder and import all my dogs from Puppies from Germany and the Netherlands. Somebody has to breed good pure bred dogs for people that do not care to adopt or rescue. I am conscious of breeding fine parents and work hard with my puppies to prepare them for the homes they are going into. I also flight mine from any state and prep them for this, they arrive very happy n healthy. It is alot of work so one is lucky when breaking even with constant feeding, buying food for puppies to wean them, working to prepare them daily often and feeding all the other Shepherds I own. It is not a good profit when breeding because of trying to keep the standard and being a love hobby of.

zeller

good breeder

there should be classes taught to know conformation before your allowed to breed dogs i see so many breeders not knowing this new stance on on rotts whats it hiding ?? the rear end

Zoom

Twin 2.0
there should be classes taught to know conformation before your allowed to breed dogs i see so many breeders not knowing this new stance on on rotts whats it hiding ?? the rear end
There already is. It's called "showing/working your dog".

B

BigDogs

I am a Breeder and import all my dogs from Puppies from Germany and the Netherlands. Somebody has to breed good pure bred dogs for people that do not care to adopt or rescue. I am conscious of breeding fine parents and work hard with my puppies to prepare them for the homes they are going into. I also flight mine from any state and prep them for this, they arrive very happy n healthy. It is alot of work so one is lucky when breaking even with constant feeding, buying food for puppies to wean them, working to prepare them daily often and feeding all the other Shepherds I own. It is not a good profit when breeding because of trying to keep the standard and being a love hobby of.
and all the people said "AMEN"

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
The most important thing that every dog breeder needs to have is knowledge about the breed.
Agreed obviously.
By knowledge about the breed, we do not mean you read a book on the particular breed. We mean that you and your family grew up with that breed and have years of first-hand experience with the breed in question, as well as, its specific needs.
I agree that you should have some serious passion for the breed, but I don't think it's necessary to have "grown up" with the breed. People find their favorite breed in all ages and ways.
Also, you need to have plenty of space to exercise the dogs and a rural setting or a farm with a large property is usually preferred.
Depends on the breed.
Breeding dogs in the city is not recommended, especially considering that there are restrictions in some places on how many dogs you can have in your household and you do not know how your neighbors will react to your dogs.
I don't agree. Unless you're running a mill there's no reason to have so many dogs your neighbors are complaining and you're breaking the law. It's less to do with the "city" and more to do with your specific area.

Members online

No members online now.