Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 07-21-2005, 03:29 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Quick question about bark...

I take my 4 1/2 month old puppy to a spot with a lot of tree bark on the ground to use the bathroom. Whenever he doesn't have to go, he'll just sniff around and start trying to eat the bark. Sometimes I think he swallows the really small pieces. I try to stop him but sometimes it's too late. Is it unhealthy for a pup to do this?
Old 07-22-2005, 09:31 AM
Top Dog

I don't think so. My dogs chew on sticks and bark all the time. There's no stopping them. LOL. Lyric did one time poke the inside of his cheek and there was a lump which, of course, I freaked out about, thinking he must have a tumor. But the vet said probably it was caused by a stick. I think dogs digestive systems can probably handle a little bit of bark and stuff. Of course, if they swallow a large chunk, it very possibly could cause a problem. I guess I'm one of those rather live and let live kind of people in some situations. I don't let my dogs chew on electric cords or insectacide though. LOL.