Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-15-2008, 01:27 AM
and Fozzie B!

I NEVER allow my dogs to meet strange dogs, on leash. You just never know... and many dogs who are fine with other dogs off-leash, unbeknownst to their owners, are much more stressed/defensive on-leash.

I have similar problems, but with uninvited strange dogs. I was walking Fozzie and Gonzo a few weeks ago, really early, and a man was coming down the trail being dragged by his (LARGE) German Shepherd "puppy". I would have stepped off the trail, but it was surrounded with deeep mud. So I stood off to the side, and had both of my dogs sitting next to me politely. I tell him from afar, "My dogs can't meet other dogs on leash", and he goes, "Oh... she's just a puppy! She wants to play!". He then proceded to allow her to drag him straight up to me, reared up on her hind legs, and get in Fozzie's face before I walked away. The next time I was walking Fozzie, I saw a neighbor whose dogs I know, and who my dogs like. Fozzie growled at both of the dogs on-leash, which he has never done. Set backs like that, because some one is an a-hole and doesn't know their own dog, just suck. D= I know how you feel, but if it's any consolation, he seems to be a lot better on-leash after a few weeks of only positive encounters.

I have an idea! You could always come to California... and bring Pit to socialize with my boyees... and leave him here. :3

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 01-15-2008, 05:22 AM
Let it be

Depending on where you live in BC my boys and lady are all VERY dog friendly. Especially Miley and Spanky. Bandit is lovely too but the other two have submissive personalities.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:58 AM
overdogged

i don't much allow meet-n-greets in public either, for three reasons. i don't trust my dogs, i don't trust other peoples' dogs, and i don't want my dogs to think that every dog they see is fair game for fun time. i want my dogs to focus on me when we're out.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 01-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Agility freak!

Zoey is fine with all dogs, therefore, I don't ask for her to meet any other dog, and just allow her to meet dogs that the owners ask me.

Bella however, because she's so big, and outgoing, I only allow her to meet Agility dogs I know, and have seen work and react many times before... At least until I can further trust her.

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog