Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 07-20-2005, 08:47 PM
Iggy and Kitty Mom

Default question about heat

I've never had a dog before so I don't know what to expect when it comes to her first heat. I've had friends tell me it's horrible and male dogs will be knockin on our door, but my boyfriend seems to think it won't be too bad. I'd personally like to have her spayed (she's 4 months old). I just wanted to hear some opinions or stories so I know what I'm in for if we don't spay her. Also, I've heard six months is a good age to spay, is this correct?
Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 07-20-2005, 10:03 PM
Top Dog

In a perfect world where there are no loose running dogs, potential problems with male dogs trying to seek the company of a female in heat would be greatly reduced but alas that's never going to happen in my lifetime! But it isn't as bad as it was many years ago before leash laws came into being - it can be bothersome though.

However, even in a perfect world, it is much better healthwise for you to have your furpal spayed. It will eliminate not only the hassles of having to deal with heat cycles but will eliminate the potential for some types of cancer.

I have always had my dogs spayed/neutered at 6 mos. But alot of the vets today do it much earlier.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:38 AM
Top Dog

Spay her! Do it and get it over with, it will save you and her from so many troubles!