Need Advice on Puppy

Hello! This is my first post on this forum so I hope I am posting this in the right spot. I just got a new puppy 2 weeks ago, named Pixie. She was a stray, a neighbor found her behind a dumpster in an alleyway, with fleas and matted hair. It's a miracle my neighbor found her, because the next day a terrible ice storm hit the city, and I am sure she wouldn't have survived.

So a lil information about Pixie, she is approximately 12 weeks old. At 10 weeks she weighed 4.8lbs, even though I can tell she has gained a few pounds since then. Not really sure what breed she is, vet couldn't tell. She is kind of aggressive, but she does play very well with our other dog who is 2 years old and 60lbs.

So now to the problem...we are currently crate training her and its going pretty well, she doesn't pee/poop inside her crate often. But at night, she SCREAMS when we go to sleep. I don't mean like little yelping, I mean screaming at the top of her lungs, and it goes on for hours. The only way I have found to make her stop is to sleep next to her crate on the floor, but I don't want to spoil her like that, and its bad on my back. I know she doesn't see her crate as a punishment, because we leave it open all the time and thats where she sleeps during the day, even when the door is open. If it gets too loud in the house for her, thats where she goes to have some quiet time. I never had this problem with my other dog. I've only been getting 3-4 hrs of sleep at night for the past 2 weeks and I don't see any end in sight. Please help =(

Also, if you have any insight on what breed she is, or how big she might get when she's an adult, please feel free to input your opinion.

Heres Pixie:

Her tail curls onto her back, even though you can't really see that in the pictures.

Also heres my other dog Lola, we got her from the Humane Society when she was 15weeks old. They said she was an Akita mix, but now that she's grown I just don't see any akita in her, shes very muscular, and has coarse hair with a pretty distinctive light pattern on her underside. Any ideas on what breeds she might be?

Her now at 60lbs, and almost 2 years.

Thats a picture of her when we first got her, at 15 lbs, she definitely grew into that tail! lol

Thanks for all your help!

for the crate thing is there any way you can put the crate in your room where you sleep? even thou i am 100% against crates, that would seem to maybe quiet things down a bit. i remember when we brought thunder home i had to sleep in the living room on the couch for at least 3 weeks or so until he was potty trained ( lots of lonnnggg nights) now he is just over 5 months old and i finally can sleep in my bed, he sleeps there too :). my hubby and i share the puppy duty things too, he sleeps out in the living room at night sometimes to help. but, since thunder is completly house broke, he sleeps there when thunder "kicks" him out. Cinni was easy, we got her 2 weeks after thunder, and she was already 80% house broke. thankgoodness. they kinda followed each other as far as training and they picked up each others "ways to tell momma i gotta go potty".

The crate is actually only a few feet from my side of the bed. When we first got her, we had the crate out in the living room and I slept on the floor next to her. About a week ago we moved the crate into our room, and we haven't had a problem with it being this way until last night.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I think it just needs time, to be honest. Buddy hollered and raised a ruckus when he was put in his crate as well- for at least the first few weeks. Now, being a little over two years old, he loves it and goes to it when he wants his time to be alone.

You don't want to succumb to the pup's tactics, though. If she's howling, you need to let her be and not give any attention to her (unless she has to do some business, then take her out to do it). Make sure there is a blanket or something as well, maybe an old shirt of yours so she senses your presence. Have the crate by the bed, etc..

Also, this pup is young still. You found her as a stray, so who knows what her precious life was like before your home. Kudos to you for taking her in and good luck. :)

bubbatd

How sweet !!! She'll settled in . Have her close enough so you and stick your finger in and " hush-hush " her softly . Don't take her out unless you think that she needs to potty .

Maxy24

Can she see you when she is crated? If there is anyway to make it so she can it might help.

Here are a few things to comfort her...
1. Get an article of your clothing that you wear a lot or maybe a pillow case, after you use it put it in the crate with her so she can smell you. Switch it out with something different every few nights so it stays "fresh".

2. noise might help. since it is only when you are asleep she may be missing the noise or life. If you an get a CD of nature sounds (so you can tolerate it too) and play them quietly next to her crate it might help. Also sometimes ticking clocks help, although that's usually for pups who leave their mom and siblings too early. The clock sounds like the heartbeats of their littermates who they are used to sleeping with. you can wrap it in a towel and put it in with the pup.

3. Another thing we try with pups taken from mom and siblings too early is a warm water bottle to feel like the bodies of the littermates, who knows it might work for her too.

4.And last but not least try your hardest to ignore the screaming. Try practicing in the middle of the day when you'll get less complaints from neighbors lol, turn off lights, close shades, crate her and crawl in bed and just wait it out.

If all of the great suggestions fail, I would make another vet appointment. This happened to a friend of mine. The dog was ok during the day, but at night he would do what your dog is doing. Turned out the dog had a very serious illness and was experiencing pain. Now, I think the chances that this is your dog's problem is extremely remote, but I had to mention it. I'm sure that she'll do much better after you try the tips from the other posters. Your pup is totally adorable!!

showpug

I just wanted to comment on breed guesses:D

Lola looks just like a Shar Pei x Basenji mix to me!!!

Pixie looks like a Tibetan Spaniel mix!

Just my ideas, but I would be money on Lola!

mjb

Lola does look like a Basenji.

I would try putting the crate close enough to your bed that you can put your hand on it, and she can know you're right there.

amccarty04

I've gotten a lot of comments from people saying Lola looks like a Basenji. And I've never seen a Tibetan Spaniel but I'll google it asap!

Ever since I moved the bed closer, put one of my tshirts in the crate, and I also wait until Pixie gets into the crate herself before closing the door (shes usually in there by the time I get done brushing my teeth), she hasn't had anymore awful nights like the one I originally posted about.

But another question...we are potty training Pixie...and this dog pees every 10 mins, and its so frustrating. I can take her out, come inside, and within 5mins she has peed on the floor. Even if I catch her and pick her up to take her out, she will pee on me! My fiance and I left for WalMart tonight (we were gone for 20mins) and when we came back she was soaked with pee from being in her crate. The towels were soaked, and there was puddles in her crate. I just don't see how such a little dog can pee so much. Should I restrict her water intake? I don't see Pixie going to get drinks all that often, but where else can all this pee come from? Right now we are taking her out at least every 15mins...but she still has many accidents during the day. Any suggestions?

Also, when is the best time to get her spayed? She is about 3 months old right now, and weighs about 6 lbs. I've heard to wait til 6 months of age but I'd like to get it over sooner than later. Pixie is very hyper and very fiesty, and I've heard after being spayed she should be more calm (at least thats what I'm hoping!). Also, I read online that she might have to stay overnight at the vets after being spayed, is this true? And whats the approximate cost? Lola came spayed from the Humane Society so this is an avenue I have yet to venture! Thanks for all the advice.

Members online

No members online now.