Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 07-18-2005, 01:49 PM
Active Pup

Default female puppy and male dog???

We just got a new puppy. She is a dal/akita mix. We will be getting her fixed when she is 6 months old. However, I have an 11 year old shelty/beagle mix who is not neutured and I am pretty sure that they will be around the same size and weight (he is about 55lbs). I was wondering if he will still try to breed with her even if she is spayed and if so is this bad or not?? I have discussed neuturing him with my vet, but he warns against it because of his age and health. He is a generally healthy dog, but does have some arthritis and kidney issues, which makes my vet not really want to perform any surgeries on him unless it is completely necessary.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:37 PM
Snow Girl

I don't think yu'll have to worry about that so long as you get your new puppy spayed before she goes into her first heat. If not then there is a very good chance of him mating with her which isn't good because she'd be much too young to be carrying puppies. If he mounts her after she is spayed this is NOT mating. A lot of dogs mount other dogs (even of the same sex) as it is their way of showing dominance over another dog

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 07-18-2005, 03:40 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Yes it could get to the point when she is older that she starts mounting him lol. My mom's dog is really bad for that lol a toy just isn't perfect until she has mounted it and showed it who is boss.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 07-19-2005, 02:38 PM
Active Pup

ok...thank you. I am not worried about puppies or anything like that, but I was worried that him mounting her would bother her. Charlie used to mount his brother a lot and they had fights about it, so I wasn't sure if he would be as persistent with her since she will be fixed.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:10 PM
Not crazy...

Oh, don't worry. Your pup will let him know how rude it is if he trys

Buster, 11 weeks