Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-28-2004, 01:36 PM
Puppy Dog

Default His little "problem"

Ok... my two year old Cairn has a bit of a problem. Whenever he can get a chance, he will eat my other dog's feces. She (my other dog) goes #2 on the side yard because we can't always walk her..and if we let our Cairn out before we clean it up, he will try to eat it. We almost always clean it up before he can get a chance to,but sometimes we forget. I know that puppies tend to do this, but he is 2 and I think he should be over it by now. We've tried many different things..so far the only thing that works is cleaning it up before he gets to it...but I just don't think this should even be an issue. Why does he do this and what can we do to make him stop?!
Old 10-28-2004, 07:27 PM
Felurian

Sometimes this is a dietary deficiency, but sometimes there are other reasons: they like the taste, try to eliminate the trace of the other dog and I'm sure there are other odd canine rationales for this.

Try the "No" command and when he turns and steps away from the "goodie" give him a little treat.

I remember reading on another thread about this problem awhile back that there is something that makes it taste offensive. You might do a search and find that thread. Hopefully, whoever had that information will see this one and answer.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-28-2004, 10:30 PM
Puppy Dog

"Try the "No" command and when he turns and steps away from the "goodie" give him a little treat."

That is exactly what I was thinking of doing. Thanks Renee
Old 10-30-2004, 07:00 AM
Top Dog

My Pit mix was really into this, the only way to finally stop him was to give him a "Pet Tab" vitamin. It stopped it completely in about 2 weeks. If I stopped (ran out) he would get interested again. Nothing we did would stop him, all the stuff we tried had no effect at all. And he LIKED the "Forbid" stuff, it made it much much worse. He also liked Bitter Apple and some other stuff like it!

I put it on something once and then forgot to wash my hands off right away and touched my mouth, YECKKKK!