Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 12-28-2007, 11:27 PM
Mo Wildlife Rehabber

Default pregnant

Well I am going back to the vet the second week of January but I just had to post to see what you all thought

well here is the story behind it all before I get swamped with ppl thinking im a bad breeder.

My mom saw a beagle on the country road that leads to our driveway on Nov 20 but when she got out of the van the beagle took off into the woods. so our whole family was on lookout.

Well on Nove 25 I found her up by the highway curled up freezing cold. just shivering and o so skinny and dehydrated. Well upon getting her home I noticed how swollen and messed up looking her vulva looked. (you know the way it gets after constant breeding) Well my vet verified it was the end of her heat and that he said she most likley was bred.

now she looks like she came from a puppy mill or at least somebody that bred her often. So here it is now almost a month later..and sometimes im like.. yeah she is.. other times im like.. mm maybe Im just feeding her to much

The vet aged her at 6 years old. she had never been in a house so she was not house trained. she didnt know how to walk on a leash.. and she has no responce to whisles or anything. She is now house trained and sits on command.. can walk on a leash. but she still does not come when called though we are working on it

anyways if she isnt pregnant she wil be spayed pronto and if she is she will be spayed later. We get alot of dumped dogs but I have really fallen for her. So I am not sure if she is permanent or if when all is said and done she wil lfind a forever home like so many others. I have three poochies of my own plus 5 other dumped dogs right now. so I will not say what tomorrow holds.

Ok this is Nutmeg a couple days ago

Old 12-28-2007, 11:30 PM
Top Dog

She's pregnant IMO...in fact, I would bet money on it from the pics. Right now is the time to give her lots of love and care and the BEST possible nutrition. Poor baby...so glad someone found her
Old 12-28-2007, 11:59 PM
Top Dog

pregnant.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:33 AM
Top Dog

she sure looks pregnant to me. I'd put money on it. And my guess is she's not "just pregnant" either, she's prolly gonna have some puppies in a few weeks. I'd get ready if i were you.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 12-29-2007, 08:35 AM
Top Dog

I agree she's pregnant. Now your first decision is whether or not you want to abort the puppies. If you keep them make sure you have enough money to feed them and pay for vet care for mom and pups and have some in case of an emergency C-section. Also be sure you can find them all good homes. If you can do all that then just make sure you get her a whelping box and start her on a high quality PUPPY food (if you want we can suggest brands). Just give her lots of care and you might want to go out and get a do thermometer so you can know her normal temperature to compare to when you think she is going into labor. I'm no expert on puppy care so I'll leave that to one of our breeders, I believe we actually have a Beagle breeder here. Kudos to you for taking this poor girl in and for being able to stop her misery, I can only imagine what she's been through.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 12-29-2007, 09:02 AM
Puppy Dog

Firstly, Well done to you! Those pups and thier mom are in good hands now!
She looks like she's very nearly due from those pics and I wouldn't be surprised if they came in the next couple of days.

First, get a whelping box, they're sold in most pet stores, if you cant buy one, they're easy to make also.Just make a Wooden box big enough so your bitch can stretch out laying with a bit more space, and you MUST put a pole around the sides, so Mom doesn't squish her pups.
Has She been laying or sleeping in one particular place? This may be where she chooses to give birth, and sometimes there not the safest of places, One of my golden's took a liking to the airing cupboard!
So gradually make her sleep in the whelping box and praise her or give her a treat whenever she sleeps there, this will encourage her to go there for labour.
And the whelping box Should, no MUST be near a heating lamp.The biggest killer of puppies is lack of heat.Think about it, Its at least 100 degrees, in the womb, and it may be less that 40 when the puppies arrive.

Second, Buy some puppy food, and mix some in with her food, this helps the pups and Mom.Keep this feeding up until you Wean the puppies off Nutmeg's milk.Then, the puppy food is just for the puppies.

Make sure the bitch doesn't have too many visitors during the week before and a few weeks after the whelp, this is a stressful time for the bitch, and hyped up visitors wont help her.

And most Importantly, Call the vet just to let them know while she's in labour, incase something goes wrong, she could have bred with any dog out there, and she may need a c-section.Have you seen the vet already? Did they give you any clues of the size of the litter?

Good luck! Pm me for questions!

Last edited by Goldendoodler; 12-29-2007 at 09:15 AM.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:21 AM
Love my pets

I just want to say what a great person you are helping her and all those other dogs.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:34 AM
Oh, it's *you*

Be aware that she is a smaller dog...if she was bred by a LARGER dog you could have a major life threatening issue when she whelps those pups. PLEASE get her x rayed...IF you can see spines then you know she is at least 45 days along and perhaps more.

Just to give you some scale the following two pics are of bitches of mine late in pregnancy...both whelped 4-5 pups, the red bitch had a water puppy which resulted in a c section :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryngwraythbeagles/
Old 12-29-2007, 09:52 AM
Top Dog

Agree with all ^^^^ !!! would advise you getting the book " How To Raise A Puppy You Can Live with " Rutherford and Neil . A must for breeder ! Thanks for taking this little lady in , and keep us posted !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 12-29-2007, 04:29 PM
woof!

Poor dog, she looks like she suffered a lot in the past, she defenly looks like she scaped from a mill.

I'm glad she's with a good owner now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoundedByHounds View Post
Be aware that she is a smaller dog...if she was bred by a LARGER dog you could have a major life threatening issue when she whelps those pups. PLEASE get her x rayed...IF you can see spines then you know she is at least 45 days along and perhaps more.
I agree with you.

No one knows for how many time she was wondering in the street, so If she got pregnat by a dog like the size of a GSD she can get killed 'casue the puppies can crush her from the inside if they are too big