Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-21-2007, 06:13 AM
Bored Now.

Default Poor Middie...

He woke me up before six with incessant whining, so I took him out to go potty.

Last night he'd had diarrhea in every conceivable place, practically, because every half hour after a potty break I'd figure after expelling large amounts of brown goo that that was IT... But it wasn't.. and he had more this morning. I've spent the last hour cleaning up after him. Even wiping his butt when he tried to rub it on things, which was probably pretty excessive.. but better it be wiped on toilet paper than on the carpet.

He got into the kitty litter boxes the other day.. which is the cause of this... same thing happened last time he got into kitty-stuff.

I'm searching for what to do on diarrhea right now, but if you have any suggestions PLEASE give them to me.. he can use all the help he can get. He's curled up looking miserable as hell right now. He's hydrated, but that's all I really know to do for him.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:04 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Poor dude.. hope he feels better soon.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:11 AM
<(<) <()> (>)>

Hm, Try cooking him potatoes for dinner tonite - ushally helps Gipsy if she isn't er feeling well.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:02 PM
Squishy face

My vet told me you can actually give your dog an anti-diarrea pill (immodium). You can also feed cooked chicken & rice.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 12-21-2007, 01:54 PM
Bored Now.

Update:

We went to the vet's office.. she said I was doing a good job keeping him hydrated, but he needs to not eat for twelve hours to um clean things out. I also got some pills for him to take to combat the diarrhea, and cleared up a bit of my confusion over heartworm testing. It was a good visit and he was very well behaved.. even when I had to sit him on the table and the vet took his temperature. The results from the stool sample should be in tomorrow morning, and he's on rice and boiled hamburger or chicken until Sunday. I'll keep you guys updated! Thanks so much for the well-wishes and advice
Old 12-21-2007, 09:55 PM
Top Dog

Is there a way to keep her out of the kitty box so it doesn't happen again? I know they make stuff that you put in your cat's food. It makes their poo taste nasty to a dog and they won't eat it. I have not tried it since I don't need to but I've heard from others who have used it that it works very well. I just keep my litter box in a room that the dogs have been trained to stay out of. So they won't go in there and mess with it.

Hope Middie feels better soon!!

Thanks for the siggie Baxter'smybaby!

Laura
Old 12-21-2007, 10:15 PM
Twin 2.0

Poor kid...don't you hate it when your favorite things don't agree with you? Guess he's "litter-intolerant"!
Old 12-22-2007, 10:45 PM
Bored Now.

Zoom.. that was baaaad... you have me in tears.

Thanks, everyone. Just wanted to tell you all he's feeling a LOT better now, and no diarrhea. And yes, the room where the kitty-litter boxes are always has the door closed when he's out, or on rare occasions is babygated. I just forgot the other day.
Old 12-23-2007, 06:28 AM
<--------Orson

Glad he is feeling better, and yes you can give dogs anti-diarea meds.........I will have to look for the paper from my vet, it has the doseage per pound on it.