Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-12-2007, 10:17 PM
Active Pup

Default Need help, vet says acute liver insult...

I usually just read posts and search old posts for help on minor health problems. Yesterday my poor dog, he's 9, started throwing up - 3 - 4 times. Couldn't hold food down yesterday and wouldn't eat anything this morning so I took him to the vet.

Vet ran blood tests and results indicate he has an acute liver "insult". ALT was 562, normal is 118; ALP was 311, normal is 150. Concern is that he possibly has Cushings or cancer among other things. He is home, on a bland diet with Amoxicillan, Denosyl and Novapaque.

I could use suggestions on feeding a bland diet, what do you feed?

Anything I should watch for? Cushings might be a possiblity - he seems to have several other symptoms - increase water intake, frequent urination, excessive panting.

Any and all info on what might be going on with my guy will be appreciated.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:55 AM
overdogged

bland diet - boiled chicken or hamburger and rice.

if the vet is concerned about cushings, did they test him for it? did they do xrays? ultrasound?

i hope your boy is feeling better soon.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 12-13-2007, 09:36 AM
Love my pets

My prayers are with you both.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:42 AM
Top Dog

I'll alert Kobesmom about this ....Kobe has Cushings and he's doing beautifully under her watchful eye .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 12-13-2007, 08:21 PM
Active Pup

Thank you for the posts. Vet wants to wait 4 weeks then retest blood levels to determine whether we need to test for Cushings. All that was done yesterday was the bloodwork then putting him on the medication.

So far my little guy seems to be doing ok, no more throwing up. I had started the bland diet - just chicken and rice.

Interestingly, I have a horse who has Cushings and although I knew dogs got it also, I thought it was very different in dogs. So far, from what I can tell it is actually very similar.

I would definitely like to hear from Kobesmom. I think I will PM to see if I can get some advice.

Thank you again!
Old 12-13-2007, 08:52 PM
Top Dog

I e-mailed her , so I'm sure she'll read it soon . Kobe is a wonderful Golden I was asked to rehome .....actually was my Bubba's son ....rehomed because of having a baby and then removed when 2nd family didn't have time for him . His new Mom ( Amy ) had lost here beloved Lab , Ferfus , and wasn't ready to get another dog as her heart was broken . Well , she met him and it's a match made in Heaven .....she'll do anything for him and he for her . She was the one who actually led us to Chaz .....

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/