Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-08-2007, 02:32 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Depends WHY you have dogs.

Some people don't want a dog as a pet to bond with, but as a working tool - look at packs of foxhounds.

But on a personal level, dogs kept as PETs - well - I suppose it depends how many hours you have to give them in a day.

For me, right now, I'd love to have 2, and could provide for two mentally etc... but no can do.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 12-08-2007, 06:58 PM
Uffda!

I'd say that 3-4 dogs would be my limit. My cat limit is two. Though sometimes I think the ones I have are a little too much! Especially when all four animals want to be on my lap at the same time.
Old 12-09-2007, 03:43 AM
Loves off-leash training!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doberkim View Post
My real limit? How many dogs can I fit in my car in crates Until I get a bigger car, the limit is three, MAYBE four.
But the original post said that money was not an issue - so with unlimited money you could buy a BIGGER vehicle!

How many crates CAN you put in a bus-sized vehicle?

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Old 12-09-2007, 04:21 AM
Top Dog

4 is my limit. That's how many I have now and I just cannot imagine having any more. I actually think 4 is a bit much, but I manage fine.

I just really rearrange my life for them and make all decisions based on how it affects the dogs

I think many years down the line when my dogs pass, I will never have 4 again. I'd be happy with two.

www.lppboutique.com
Old 12-09-2007, 09:33 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Depends WHY you have dogs.

Some people don't want a dog as a pet to bond with, but as a working tool - look at packs of foxhounds.

But on a personal level, dogs kept as PETs - well - I suppose it depends how many hours you have to give them in a day.

For me, right now, I'd love to have 2, and could provide for two mentally etc... but no can do.
Just a quick comment . . . I agree with you, but I don't like the phrase working tool . . . my father's beagles are a working pack, but they are not a 'tool' and there is a powerful bond between him and those hounds.

They adore him . . . he adores them . . . if it weren't for that bond, then it would be impossible to do what he does . . . take a group of 20 or more dogs, off leash, hunting in a strange place, every week, every year, and come back will all of them. Moreover, to direct and control them on a scent . . . that's a strong connection.

He loves his hounds. They may be a hobby, but they are not a 'tool'. And there is a very strong bond, it is just more of a bond with the 'pack' as an entity, than with each individual . . . though they all have names and get individual care. I don't think the hounds suffer for it . . . they need him, and they love him, but they don't suffer from a lack of the constant human contact that Sarama has.

So they are not pets, but they are not tools either.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Salty Sea Dog

right now 3 is my tops...

however i like 5, 5 would be my "top" number...
i like odd numbers, id have 4 small dogs and 1 larger breed

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 12-09-2007, 07:13 PM
Yum...

1-2 is my limit. But later, depeding on what I'm doing with my life. I don't know.

Thank you Christine!

A Dog is like an eternal Peter Pan,
a child who never
grows old and who therefore is always available to love and be loved
~Aaron Katcher~

"There aren't any bad dogs, there are only bad owners..." Off of the Movie Underdog