Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Show Dog

Thanks SPL do you have have any suggestions for specific test to have run? she ran regular blood tests and said that everything looked amazing besides her albumins were low the first time, the second time the albumins were up in awesome range and everything else was awesome... is there a specific enzyme or something I should have her test??
Old 12-04-2007, 06:27 PM
CASSA

Get some nutricall and pedialite. The paste is 1000 calories and it can be put inside the top of the roof of her mouth to insure she gets calories each day if not eating enough ot throwing up.

Get Pedia lite dogs in these conditions number one concern is dehydration.

Wish you best of luck.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 12-04-2007, 06:45 PM
Top Dog

When a dog is sick for a couple of months , there's a reason . One of the reasons I don't own more than one dog now is medical care . Everyone who owns a dog should be able to pay for their health care . I've been lucky in my 60 years ..... I've been able to do the best for all of mine . A few of them I went above and beyond ..... but couldn't save them . I know at least I tried .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 12-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Show Dog

We have pedialyte Ill give that to her... and Im gonna get some nutrical tomorrow. my thing is technically Sunny is my mom's dog/family dog and she isn't wanting to put her through surgery - which the vet claims is the only way to find out what is wrong - so she's just trying to get her to eat. She has been eating more! she's picky but hasn't thrown up anything and is excited about food...
Old 12-04-2007, 07:32 PM
Top Dog

I would go ulta sound before surgery ......if you go that way prepare to make a descison while your pup is under . I hope that you won't have to go though this .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 12-05-2007, 10:48 AM
Rescue Ranger

High albumin is usually indicative of dehydration, but low albumin would lead me to consider liver disease and it can also be indicative of kidney disease. I am assuming that your vet did a full CBC/chem panel...have they done a urine test to check for albumin? How were her calcium levels? Was her BUN in the high or low normal range? I would probably request a liver chemistry panel. During the diagnostic process, I think I might go ahead and try to give her nutriceutical support with something like Zentonil...one of my vets recommended that I try it with one of my guys and I do feel like it helped. Here is a link: http://www.azodyl.com/pages/global_03.html I know that it made me feel better to think that I was doing something proactive while I waited...I do hope that you can get to the bottom of this. I know how frustrating it is to not be able to get a definative diagnosis. If you feel that there is anyway that another vet might be able to resolve it, then switch vets. I have multiple vets because some are better slueths than others and some have talents in other areas. Good luck to you.

I've been frosted!
Old 12-06-2007, 04:32 AM
Top Dog

The first thing that struck me when I read your post was that this all started when you gave her a bone. That tells me to look to that event. Either her gut got irritated perhaps, OR injured in some way. Have they done x-rays???? Ultrasound???? Ten isn't that old for a Sheltie and they aren't one of the breeds that get cancer a lot (although it is possible). Revisit the bone issue, and get another opinion from a different vet clinic.
You know he's on the level.
~Author Unknown

I don't whisper - I translate!

Paws for Praise - Make a Tail Wag!
http://www.pawsforpraise.com