Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-14-2005, 05:06 PM
Top Dog

Smoked bones can splinter. I wouldn't give them, unless you supervize very closely and remove them right away if it seems to splinter.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:07 PM
Top Dog

I get beef soup bones, about 6 in a bag for less than $2. I go to a local chinese supermarket; less expensive, but its great quality too.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:08 PM
Top Dog

Yes... no cooked or smoked bones for our babies!!!! They splinter. Only FRESH! The best that I've found are the cow shank bones from a butcher (or the butcher section of your local supermarket). Just talk to the butcher and enquire about them if they don't put them out to sell. Grammy used to get them for FREE because they would just be thrown away, anyway! They're somewhat long and straight and contain the marrow that dogs love and keeps them busy forever! (at least big dogs)
Old 07-14-2005, 06:36 PM
Top Dog

I have trouble finding them in the summer. I still only like the shank, and knuckle bones. I see rib bones, but don't want to take any chances. With a small dog, the round bone from a round steak if fine....leave the marrow and a little surrounding meat. I have a round bone Chip (he's big!) still chews on. It's been picked clean for more than a year and about from 1 1/4 " cut. I just measured it and he said, hmmmm think I'll chew on that a while.! Has never splintered.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:31 PM
BusterLove

we get things like lamb ofcutts, shanks and turkey necks from the supermarket, or we go tot he butcheer and they get a real good/big bone. Some pet stores sell them to.