Choosing a first.

toonk

hello everyone!
this is my first post on the board, but based on the great information i have found in different online communities for different things (I'm an avid fisherman) I'm sure I will get great info from all of you.
My girlfriend and I are looking for our first dog together. Before I get into living details here are the breeds on our list:
Lab
Rot
Vizsla
Boxer
Pit
Mix of any of the above.

now for details of environment. we live apart still, and the dog will be with me. I will be living in a house with a proper yard. there will be 6 guys in all living there. there is currently a 3-4 year old lab/pit mix female living there. she has grown up with several different dogs, both older and younger then her. most recently a lab puppy. there is always a decent number of people coming and going from the house, due to its central location and we are all surfers, so sociability is a must. we have some chickens, but they are in their own pen, and not free range around the yard. the dog will be predominately outside once it is old enough. but that can possibly change when we move elsewhere in the state (california) for my girlfriend to go to Med School. we are looking for a dog that can go anywhere with us. the beach, hiking, the park, etc etc. a dog we can let off lead and throw the ball for and take swimming in the water. my girlfriend has grown up with Ridgebacks so she is used to bigger dogs while i have only lived with smaller dogs. all the above mentioned dogs have great traits IMO but we cant decide upon which is best. also important is we would like to try to get the dog from a rescue/pound as a puppy. and not from a breeder/pet shop. but, breeders can be considered, depending on reason why. so far most of the info i have has been based on what i have found online and from my aunt who shows her Rottweiler's competitively.

all that being said, I look forward to hearing your opinions.

thanks for your help

-Chuck

Rosefern

I second Renee on that one!

If you need help in finding a rescue, PM me your zip code - I have a lot of contacts!

-Rosefern

Paige

Let it be
Rescue all the way! You'll meet that dog that makes your heart stop. Some of the world's greatest dogs are in a shelter just waiting to be picked. You'll find all those breeds there and every mix and cross :D

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
My finace and I agonized over which breed to get . . . . and then we met Sarama, and she was the Right Dog. She's a rescue, and not even a mix of any of the breeds we considered. She's just . . . perfect. Everything on our 'must have in a dog list' is present, and nothing on our 'must not have'.

So, unless you have your heart set on a purebred (at which point check out purebred rescue first!) I'd hit the rescues. You'll find the perfect dog . . . there are so many out there.

toonk

thanks for your help everyone! I will keep your suggestions in mind.
happy hollidays!

wishbone

Hiya Toonk, hope you love "rescue" breed too!

If you could take photos of the dog you got, we will glad to great him/her here. :)

bubbatd

Being a Golden snob for over 50 years , it wasn't until I lost my Chip that I went to Petfinder ....Ollie was waiting for me ...sent from the rainbow Bridge.

Members online

No members online now.