Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Dafuq?

One thing I should mention. I've heard it said that any dog worth their salt can get out of a harness much easier than they can a properly-fitted collar. If you think about it, all they have to do is get their elbows out, and they can be gone. And since the lead is clipped behind their shoulders, it pretty much aids the dog in pulling himself out of the harness. (Kind of like how you would grab a sweater at the bottom and then pull it backwards over your head.) If it works for you, then great! But I wouldn't count on it being an absolute answer to collar-slipping.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 11-17-2007, 08:47 AM
We are Home.

The problem with Walkers collar slipping is the dang neck fur he has. The fur around his neck is SOOOOOO much thicker then anywhere else on his body.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 11-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Lord Cynical

Ada slipes her collar because she's got so much hair in her ruff, that the collar is never really tight enough to be "safe" in my eyes. (I'm the type that has martingales or chokes on my dogs when I go places, just because I fear"slippage". YES the dobes would come right back to me, but I still don't like to have any extra risk in our outings.

It would take Ada some doing to get out of her harness - it's snuh and she's got little midget arms that seem to bend differently than a "normal" dog. I'm sure she could get out of the harness, but the difference is that I'd be able to grab her before she succeeded.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 11-17-2007, 12:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahamutt99 View Post
One thing I should mention. I've heard it said that any dog worth their salt can get out of a harness much easier than they can a properly-fitted collar. If you think about it, all they have to do is get their elbows out, and they can be gone. And since the lead is clipped behind their shoulders, it pretty much aids the dog in pulling himself out of the harness. (Kind of like how you would grab a sweater at the bottom and then pull it backwards over your head.) If it works for you, then great! But I wouldn't count on it being an absolute answer to collar-slipping.
I guess neither of my dogs are worth their salt!
Old 11-17-2007, 12:21 PM
Are you dead yet?

My dogs have harnesses. Dakota has a lovely leather one that he, sadly, rarely wears anymore. Eve has a "webmaster" harness. Dash has a little pink Lupine one but if she gets large enough as an adult, she'll inherit Dakota's old harness.

Dakota wears his harness whenever he goes somewhere with me, as does Dash. I can't use harnesses for Eve while she's working because of her cape, but she wears one when we go hiking. Otherwise it's a collar for her.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:47 PM
Top Dog

I use a harness for Dance pretty often for our walks. Simply because it's more comfortable for her (I think) and she doesn't pull ever anyway.

She's never tried backing out of her harness or her collars so I don't really worry. When I don't use a harness, I use a martingale collar just for extra precaution, but I could walk her just as easily on a buckle collar if it wasn't for my fear of her slipping out (I use martingales on all of them, regardless of whether I really need to or not).

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN