Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 11-15-2007, 06:45 PM
Active Pup

Default How to occupy a busy dog during convalescence?

I just found out that my very busy Lab has sustained a microfracture. My vet has recommended 30 days of total rest, no exercise at all, so that she can heal. We are respecting this as best we can, but my dog is going out of her mind. She normally gets at least a one-hour walk period per day, and it is easy to see that she has energy to burn.

Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping her busy during this period? Unfortunately, hydrotherapy is not an option in my area.

Thanks!
Old 11-15-2007, 07:54 PM
We are Home.

First off with diffculty. And how i could manage a month i have no clue I can tell you how we managed 2 weeks.

Interactive toys, hard bones filled with frozen broth or gravy, create indoor games that dont require any running or jumping like catch if your dog knows how already or you might be able to teach her if not. Its like throwing a cookie at her to catch but do it with a stuffy then give her time to play with it then throw it over again.

Cant think of much more. Im sorry and I hope she heals soon poor girl.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 11-15-2007, 09:27 PM
Active Pup

Thanks for the suggestions. She loves stuffed animals, so I think I will take your tip and search for something more interactive that doesn't involve too much action. Also, frozen bones are a great idea! I'll give it a shot!!!

Thanks a million!
Old 11-16-2007, 12:04 AM
Top Dog

I got this for Brody and he loves it!! http://www.petco.com/product/100569/...-Squirrel.aspx

The only problem is he will torment me to put the squirrels back in for him like 20 times before he gets tired of it. It is funny watching him repeatedly pull the squirrels out and squeak them to death.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:44 AM
We are Home.

I must have a dumb dog then he tore the balls up and is obsessed with the box. (he had the box and balls one) He never did figure out to take them OUT *shakes head*

Old 11-16-2007, 06:03 AM
overdogged

frozen kongs saved my life.

luce had knee surgery. she's a really active 4 y/o pit bull and she had to be completely restricted to a crate for 2 weeks, and then restricted except for increasingly longer walks for another 6 weeks. it was no fun at all for anybody.

if you're really having a hard time, call the vet and ask if she can have some sedatives.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 11-16-2007, 10:34 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldiefur View Post
I got this for Brody and he loves it!! http://www.petco.com/product/100569/...-Squirrel.aspx

The only problem is he will torment me to put the squirrels back in for him like 20 times before he gets tired of it. It is funny watching him repeatedly pull the squirrels out and squeak them to death.
This is the cutest thing! I think Susie will love it. Thanks so much for the advice!
Old 11-16-2007, 10:38 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
frozen kongs saved my life.

luce had knee surgery. she's a really active 4 y/o pit bull and she had to be completely restricted to a crate for 2 weeks, and then restricted except for increasingly longer walks for another 6 weeks. it was no fun at all for anybody.

if you're really having a hard time, call the vet and ask if she can have some sedatives.
Thanks! At least the vet is giving me the chance to try and restrict her movements without putting her in a crate (she's never been in one, and I would be very curious to see what size of a crate I would need to contain a Lab! She's not fat, but she's a big girl!). I hadn't thought of the kong balls until Darkchild 16 suggested filling frozen bones. It's only been 2 days since she was diagnosed, and we are not really organised yet! Plus, Mommy was getting desperate! The advice I am getting on this forum is really helping, though.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 11-17-2007, 08:04 AM
We are Home.

Is she going to be able to walk? Or do they want her completely reestricted (mostly laying down not walking or anything?)

Old 11-17-2007, 10:33 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra_chico View Post
This is the cutest thing! I think Susie will love it. Thanks so much for the advice!
Yeah it really is cute! Here are some more toys I found http://www.kyjen.com/dogtoys/?page=d...zzleplushiqube
I may have to buy Brody some of these. A pet store in my area used to have these plush toys one is a ball another one I saw is a snake and the dog can rip them apart. They are attached by velcro and it makes the loudest noise when you pull it apart. I was trying to find them online but I have had no luck. It is not the pull apart guys on the site. The ones I found were way better quality. If I ever find out the name of them I will post it.