Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Top Dog

Our guinea pig also got danger when Wishbone got into the room where they stay. Wishbone got there for couple of hours , good thing he's just barking and watching them and didn't treat them as prey.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:08 PM
Top Dog

When I am opening cage doors (Which is several times a day) I make sure NO dogs, or cats (other than Lucy the chihuahua) are in the room. I close my door (All my rodents are in my bedroom) and everyone is kicked out.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:24 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Well, I have sort of solved the problem. Not if they get loose, but I seem to have cured Sarama of her newly acquired habit of jumping up to stare in their cages (they are in the bedroom . . .theres no where else to put them) After scolding her, and exiling her, and five other solutions, I finally pegged a flashlight at her when she did it. (I missed . . . I intended to miss) it hit the wall behind her, and she looked stunned (she should, I've never thrown anything at her before). 24 something hours alter, she has yet to try again. Shrug. Not a training method I would recommend, but . . . you could tell "Mom's really mad now!" So at least she's leaving them alone IN their cage for the moment. <sigh> Unfortunatley, there's no place to move them to that would be 'dog-free' except the basement, where there is no room.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:40 AM
Let it be

Bandit gets along with my rats famously but Spanky does not. He was put on a leash for about a week whenever he was near the cage and a firm no, enforced if he didn't listen, was used so he learned the rats and their cage is off limits. To this day he will not crowd the rat cage.

Easier solution is just don't let the dog in the room.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:32 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

The problem is the room is the bedroom . . . its common domain, so to speak. After the flashlight, NO seems to be working. But if we're going to open the cage, she'll have to be elsewhere. At least I'm less worried about her knocking the cage off the shelf (she cant really reach it, and its huge, but I know bettter than to underestimate a determined dog)
Old 11-14-2007, 08:58 AM
Bored Now.

Ex-pen around the cage? Is there any way to contain a multi-level cage in a cabinet-type thing? I don't know if they are suitable for rats, but... it might be possible.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:26 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
Ex-pen around the cage? Is there any way to contain a multi-level cage in a cabinet-type thing? I don't know if they are suitable for rats, but... it might be possible.
Its not a very big room. The cage is already on top of a dresser. But part of an ex-pen might work . .if she had to bump into it to stand up and see into the cage she might decide not to.