Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-16-2004, 10:21 PM
My Ginger Bread Cookie

Default Just wondering

Well loving my new dog Ginger a Golden Retriever, but before I did buy her I almost got me a German Shephard. Now with my previous dog Max who was also a Golden Retriever, he shed alot as will Ginger also I'm sure lol. Was just wondering do shephards shed more than retrievers? LOL I mean Max shed alot and I kept him well groomed, and it was like fighting a losing battle. You seriously almost have to run the sweeper everyday to stay ahead of the war with the hair lol. Anyway was just sitting here wondering
Old 10-16-2004, 11:50 PM
Active Pup

I have a germen shepered and she does shead but not too much. Most of the dead hair on her tends to stay on so it brushs off good.
Old 10-17-2004, 06:33 AM
Are you dead yet?

From the dogs I've met, GSD's shed a LOT more than Goldens. With regular brushing and bathing, you will probably still have tons of little GSD hairs sticking to your clothes, in your food, on your furniture.. Not that Goldens don't shed, but they shed less than GSD's with regular baths and grooming.
Shepherd hairs tend to stay on their body until you brush them or pet them, and then it's like an explosion Pet hair rollers are a must.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:08 AM
Felurian

LOL! Bear, my GSD/Akita mix, was a power-shedder! The birds loved him in the spring. We'd sit on the front porch and I'd pull handfuls of soft, thick undercoat out and toss them in the air. They'd catch on the bushes and land in the grass and the nest-building birds would snatch them all up. The birds at my house had the most luxurious nests in town.

But, you know, it didn't matter a bit. I wouldn't have been without him (or any of my other GSDs) if they'd been 100X the shedders. I've already warned Charley that even with the Filas, I don't ever want to live without a German Shepherd.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 10-17-2004, 09:38 AM

Hammie, a shepard, is a breeze compared to Addie, the husky mix. Addie needs brushing daily in early spring...that winter coat in unbelievable!! I get GOBS of hair from her for a couple months......then she still sheds alot. I brush them everyday and Ham's hair does seem to stay until brushed out. Addie, even after brushing will shed if you pet her. So, I don't find the shepard to be a problem around the house with hair, if brushed daily.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:04 AM
Save a life: Rescue

I've only met one purebred, AKC registered Golden Retriever and have never actually met an AKC registered German Shepherd (the dogs that weren't registered had different coat textures, builds, etc). From what I have seen, it seems like the German Shepherds shed more, but it stays on the coat and can be brushed off. Hope this in some way helps.
Old 10-23-2004, 04:16 PM
My Ginger Bread Cookie

Yeah well I'm glad I got another Golden Retriever, they are awesome and very smart dogs. Course not sayin Shepherds aren't, but after Max I'll stick with Goldens, Ginger is learning really quick just like Max did. But lol she is going to be the death of me, I forgot how much energy puppies have haha.
Old 10-23-2004, 04:31 PM
Active Pup

Default Shedding Dogs

Hello,

I've been involved with Dogs and training for quite some time. I think you'll find and long or medium haired dog, big or small will shed quite a bit with the change of seasons. I have two mixed breeds and they both leave quite a bit of hair.

I find it easiest to brush them quickly everyday if you can. Having said that I have to keep a hair roller for my clothes and car close by at all times :-)
Ever get much hair in your food ;-}

John
www.pet-dogmagazine.com
Old 10-23-2004, 04:36 PM
My Ginger Bread Cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngaryclifford
Hello,

I've been involved with Dogs and training for quite some time. I think you'll find and long or medium haired dog, big or small will shed quite a bit with the change of seasons. I have two mixed breeds and they both leave quite a bit of hair.

I find it easiest to brush them quickly everyday if you can. Having said that I have to keep a hair roller for my clothes and car close by at all times :-)
Ever get much hair in your food ;-}

John
www.pet-dogmagazine.com
Haha yeah I have got plenty of hair on my clothes before, I have left the house a few times in the past with my shirt covered in hair and just not realizing it till I got out. Max didn't shed real bad, but still you had to stay on top of it or it would get out of hand. Not for sure what they are called, but I have what I call is a hair rake, and it will pick up really really well.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:39 PM
Felurian

ROFL! I consider myself ahead of the game if I get out of the house without any giant paw prints or nose prints anywhere, or without any overt evidence of getting slimed (Filas do drool - not as bad as most molossers, but more than Shepherds), nevermind hair!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian