Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 11-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Top Dog

when i first got yoshi i'd just make her walk around the back yard and then she'd go. when she'd get active she'd go real fast then continue playing

Old 11-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Puppy Dog

Ya i don't know what it is. She also sits infront of the front door alot. So I don't know what she's trying to tell me. Any advice?
Old 11-11-2007, 06:37 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

I also have a coonhound. He also will not go in the yard. If he isn't at least 500 yards from our house, he won't poop. He clearly thinks going that close to our house is disgusting, since he seems perturbed that Mini does poop in the yard.

Nothing has changed this, and i have tried every method known to man for 11 months. This same dog washes himself like a cat and is just very fastidious, so I think it's all part of the same thing, he wants to be clean and doesn't want to soil where he lives.

On the plus side, he IS very clean, and he never, ever has accidents in the house. Also he has a very regular schedule, so it's just a matter of getting him out to a place he likes every morning at the same time.

Uncle Fred is an odd duck, but we love him very much. i hope you and your coonhound can come to an agreement that works for you too.

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 11-11-2007, 06:44 PM
Bloody but Unbowed

I should also tell you that my young Coonhound seems to need about 2-3 hours of good, hard exercize a day. I take him to a dog park and run him next to a bike. They have that big, long striding trot and are designed to go long distances through the woods every night. They are worth it- and I am in much better shape now!

Uncle Fred is a Treeing Walker. What kind of coonhound do you have?

Thanks Baxter'smybaby. You're the Best.
Bless All the Abandoned Animals, Left to Die Alone, Abandoned, Frightened, and Confused
Old 11-11-2007, 08:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by fillyone View Post
I think every dog needs to be able to eliminate in their back yard.

I had surgery a couple of years ago and for a week would not have been able to take Dante for a walk, but I could sit in a chair in the back yard and throw the ball for him.

For that matter, Dante doesn't go for a walk every day, strike me down I'm a horrible dog owner. He does however get a lot of training time, play time and with me time...most of it's just not spent walking around the neighborhood.
Yes, if you get a dog that requires more exercise and you don't provide it then yes you are not the best dog owner.
I did not get a large dog with higher exercise needs for this very reason, not because higher energy dogs are not beautiful, but because I set a realistic expectation and stuck with it.

Thankfully this was just a misunderstanding and the dog is being walked, I do understand not wanting to walk the dog 5+ times a day to get them to go to the bathroom.

The idea of putting his poo in the backyard is good, also getting another dog to "mark" your backyard might help, or one of those pee poles.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:10 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmom777 View Post
I should also tell you that my young Coonhound seems to need about 2-3 hours of good, hard exercize a day. I take him to a dog park and run him next to a bike. They have that big, long striding trot and are designed to go long distances through the woods every night. They are worth it- and I am in much better shape now!

Uncle Fred is a Treeing Walker. What kind of coonhound do you have?
She's a redboned coon hound. And she's just gorgeous. I really love her. But i'm just concered about her bathroom issues. Like I don't want her to get sick because she sometimes doesn't go pee or poo for 24 hours.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:28 PM
But please, call me Barb

Quote:
Originally Posted by misticaleclipse View Post
Yes, if you get a dog that requires more exercise and you don't provide it then yes you are not the best dog owner.
I did not get a large dog with higher exercise needs for this very reason, not because higher energy dogs are not beautiful, but because I set a realistic expectation and stuck with it.
Actually if you have a dog with high energy walks aren't going to do it.
I could walk Dante 5 times a day and it wouldn't be enough exercise, now if I was a jogger, perhaps.

However training time tires a dog out quite well if done correctly and of course there's that play time.