Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-10-2007, 09:37 PM
Top Dog

Default Has Anyone Ever Had Experience With A Blind Dog?

Didi is now full-blown blind. Both eyes She knows how to get to her water/food bowl and to the backdoor. She's been a very spoiled pooch with treats, ect. But will she get the same enjoyment from walking even though she has no sight? Last time I tried walking her, it was like she was scared to walk in such unfamiliar surroundings and her not able to see where she is and all. But that just saddens me so much, walks where her most favorite thing to do, besides eating her favorite meaty foods. What can I do with her to make her days worthwhile even though she's without sight now? I cuddle with her alot, pet, scratch her, but is there more? My mom thinks she's suffering to much and i should pts. But when I come in the room and I call her name and see that wagging tail, I don't see how she can't be a less of a happier dog than she was before even without her loss of sight. I'm going to try the whole walking thing again, try coaxing her more with my voice, I know in the backyard she still sniffs around, so she has to still get some enjoyment from a walk. I know it'll be more expensive keeping her alive, now with having to have meds for her other eye, but when its her time to go, it'll come, I don't see how this will stop her from enjoying her life she still has ahead.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:57 PM
Water Junkie

Oh wow How terrible. ((HUGS)) to you both.

Take it slow! I can't imagine what SHE'S feeling right now, so in all honesty I wouldn't take her for a walk in a new place.

I would say try to do everything the same, so she remembers.

But I have no idea. I've never had to deal with a blind pup before.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 11-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Top Dog

Thats what I'm doing now, but I just feel so guilty when I take out Pepe & Princess aaand haave to leaaave her behind and the she's not getting the same enjoyment they're getting.

I know it doesn't help with bettering her percepition around the house, but sometimes I even take her outside by carrying her to the grass just so she doesn't bump into things, bugs me so much when she does. But when I do her walk by herself I make sure the path is clear and nothing has moved/changed.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Top Dog

I have not dealt with one either, but I know I have seen
threads on it here before so I hope someone will speak up.

I have heard only the basics, to keep their food and water
in the same place. To not move furniture so they can remember
the layout of the house. To use your voice commands for what
the know, sit etc
Old 11-10-2007, 10:20 PM
Top Dog

I still make her do tricks sometimes. She's really good on the commands, she still does give me five and taps my hand with her paw, but although she can still grasp on how to do the trick, she's doesn't always know where the treat is I have holding for her in my hand is sometimes. She'll be a little off sometimes when she trys to snatch the treat.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Bored Now.

Don't feel bad.. it's NOT your fault. ((((hugs))) I don't think you should baby her if SHE doesn't need it, though. Take her out on walks on her own with lots of special yummy treats, and praise her when she comes to your voice.. it MAY also help if you erect a sort of barrier for her around obstacles in your yard (it's fenced, yes?). Like 6-10 inches of gravel or dirt or something (maybe just make it consistent) so while she's in the yard she knows by the feel of things under her paws when she is nearing something she could bump into. Her other senses are going to heighten, as well, and my bet is that she'll be able to start smelling things at least a second or so before she bumps into them.

I hope someone who has experience here will be able to help you. There are probably websites and message forums dedicated to people with blind dogs, as well?
Old 11-10-2007, 10:33 PM
BusterLove

I read a while ago one trick is to put a bit of scented oil (like tea tree oil or somethign nice) on the legs of the furniture, cupboards walls or anythign she could bump into so that she learns to navigate her way around. Also don't move furniture or anything around.

You could also try teaching her some commands like "stop" or "left" "right" so that she gains confidence that you will help direct her.

Just because a dog is blind doesn't mean its suffering or not happy.
This is proof of what can be done.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=o4OyCtuWT2M

Old 11-10-2007, 10:50 PM
Top Dog

Thanks so much for posting that video, makes me feel a whole lot better. And thanks for the advice!!

Noludoru yeah its fenced. So far she's been doing well in the backyard. She's even now knows to bark for me when she's in the concrete part of the backyard (patio) to get in, because sometimes she wanders off and bumps into the chairs and stuff trying to get to the door.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:20 PM
Bored Now.

You could have some potted mint plants by the door..... the scent would probably be more than enough in the spring-to-fall months to get her there. Or maybe a small pine-type tree.. the ugly decorative ones.

I'm so glad she's learning, though. She sounds very adaptable, and boy is she lucky to have you.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:57 AM
overdogged

maybe try some of these ideas?
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?