Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 07-22-2007, 05:09 PM
Lord Cynical

I don't like them - they seem to break coat something terrible. I much prefer the Mars Coat Kings.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:34 PM
Top Dog

I've used it (the Furminator) before, and at first I really liked it, but then I noticed that it was breaking their coats. Like Sizzle, I much prefer the Mars Coat King.

Ripley
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FDCh-G
Keira CGN
Old 07-22-2007, 08:29 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I just bought one of these today and tried it on Auggie. Wow. Okay, I thought I was doing a really good job of getting all the dead hair out by brushing him everyday. Apparently not. o_O
I brushed my sister's Kota, and he didn't seem to like it - I think it was pulling at his fur way too much (different coat texture.) Happy was fine with it though, and holy crap did the fur go everywhere.

I have to admit... I was curious, so I... tried it on myself. X3 It didn't rip out or cut my hair at all, but it did kinda pull a bit. I think it depends on the dog and their fur texture, if they can handle it or not.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-29-2007, 02:16 PM
Top Dog

Just had to bring this thread up again--I just bought a Furminator yesterday to use on my new rescue Corgi and I couldn't believe how awesome it was! It is perfect for a Corgi type coat! However I noticed earlier in the thread it listed Manchesters Terriers as an OK breed to use this on--I just can't see it. They have absolutely no undercoat. Zippy is the thinnest coated dog I've ever seen--very minimal shed---I did try it super lightly on him and it did pick up a few stay hair but thats about it.
But for a dog like a Corgi--I am so glad I got this thing and just had to write about it! One question though--Does anyone know how long they last before they wear out?
Old 10-29-2007, 04:05 PM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

Quote:
Does anyone know how long they last before they wear out?
We had a demo model at the clinic that we used for our sales pitch (and yes they actually do work) and it has combed hundreds of dogs (and cats) and it's still going strong. We've had it for three months thus far.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 10-29-2007, 04:57 PM
Formerly DoglessInSeattle

Since you floated this thread back to the top;

I've found that CeCe is more comfortable with the Fuminator if I pre-brush with her pin brush. It seems to pass more smoothly through her coat if the guard hairs are aligned the same direction and still picks up the undercoat.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:12 AM
Your Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
I don't like them - they seem to break coat something terrible.
Agreed. One of our clients came in with her two Shelties. One of them looked HORRIBLE! We asked her if she had him tested for a thyroid condition, his coat was just horrific. She told us that she had had him groomed the day before at a local place that swears by the furminator.

The groomers I work with refuse to use it. The conformation people we have as clients also will not use it. One of them told us "Any groomer worth their weight in gold wouldn't even think of using the furminator."

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 10-30-2007, 06:22 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

I tried it on Sarama, and I got a whole other dog off of her (she was sheding her puppy coat at the time). She looked great too. (I had borrowed that one). I think its something you only use when you are having sheading problems, not as a regular thing.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Top Dog

I love mine. It works well on both my beagle and Radars soft terrier type coat. And oh the glory of brushing a Persian cat with it. Puss starts purring as soon as he sees it.
I think both of mine still have nice coats, but they aren't show dogs either, so that might have something to do with it.