Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Buried Bones

Old 10-14-2007, 01:45 AM
Fishies!

I pray (a rare thing!) that this is my only foray into this thread. I've been on enough forums to know not to get attached. I've worked up quite a number of posts, but I do not want to be "a regular here." That is developing a connotation that I don't want to be part of.

There is a very strange social dynamic here, compared to many other forums. People seem to treat the forum as family. Short of illness or death, I do not care if any person comes, goes, or throws a fit about leaving for the 10th time. There is a thread weekly about people not coming back. It gets old, since they almost always come back. It really is a attention ploy when the poster is not getting their way! No single person makes the forum (well, Chaz excepted, I suppose) so I do not care if any person stays or goes.

If it starts getting to be too much, just take a step back, don't visit, or only open picture threads.

The response to Richling is actually still bothering me. A narcissist? Perhaps, but what does calling him in this, or any thread serve? Just because you (in general) do not agree with method "X" does not mean that others don't. Clearly at least 3 incarnations of one person does.

If you want to fight that kind of thinking, you HAVE to understand it. Why does this person think that it is ok to train that way? In some cultures, dogs are just food. In others they are Paris Hilton's dog. Most of us will fall in between these extremes. Most people here have a VERY narrow view on it. In the scheme of things, the difference between a halti harness, a prong collar or a clicker are effectively the same to most dogs, at least compared to a baseball bat or dinner fork, yet we still argue over that for days.

If someone really does have strongly held beliefs contrary to what the "general forum opinion" is, it is going to take more than a couple forum posts to make them change their minds. Find out why they feel that way and address those reasons.

There is no reason to let it get personal. If you attack one of those members unfairly (yes, you can unfairly attack an animal abuser/a puppy miller or negligent owner) they will stop listening, and the battle to change their minds is lost. The first person to loose their cool can do this. This means that those conditions will still prevail.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:58 PM
Top Dog

Renee:

After reading this entire thread I now have a better understanding of the responses I've received to date. A simple solution would be to specify in your rules the beliefs you expect members to possess. It would prevent the problems which now plague this forum. Had I known at the time of signing up that purchasing a poodle/retriever cross was considered 'wrong', I would simply have not bothered and proceeded to another forum where it was acceptable. The members who have posted in this thread declaring that they can't be civil etc. because it's condoning or supporting abuse clearly want a 'private' forum and expect standards to be strictly enforced. The rules as they exist give no indication differing views will not be tolerated. In order to be fair to everyone, you need to specify only certain beliefs are welcome and that way the forum stays the same.

Rules: 1. Please be respectful to other members and moderators. You don’t have to like or agree with everyone, but please state your thoughts in a respectful manner. Absolutely no name calling. No personal attacks.

2. Do not “bash” new members because they don’t know about puppymills, backyard breeding or any other practice you may not agree with. Don't jump to conclusion about new members. They may not be a "troll" just because they ask a question that seems obvious to others. Education is the best way the change any problem.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:50 AM
Sit! Good dog.

A fantastic view from a new member.

Every venture benefits from new inputs from new eyes.

People get stale and stuck in their own ways and means. If I've learnt anything recently, it's never to discredit what someone who is new can bring to a project - they have valuable new things to add.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 10-30-2007, 06:54 AM
<--------Orson

Island Dog I would just like to say I am sorry for what you and goldendoodler was exposed to right off the bat.

It's true that Chazhound is an open forum and members have LOTS of freedoms here that you won't get at other forums...........which also leaves it wide open for what you have just went through.

All I can say is, you have an option to put some people on "ignore list" to do this you click the person's user name (right by their picture) and click "view public profile" and then you can find "add person to ignore list".........I would DO IT and still stick around, because you will find that NOT all members here are that way
Old 10-30-2007, 08:16 PM
Top Dog

Thanks ACooper, I have used the 'ignore' - hopefully I won't have to use it often. Look forward to learning a lot from this forum to give Molly a great life.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:08 AM
Puppy Dog

I didn't know there was a Ignore button, thanks Acooper, no-one told me that.They'd rather Carry on flaming me.
I will use it hopefully not too often.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:21 AM
Yorkie Love

could someone explain the ignore button to those of us (probably only me) too slow to understand.

Say I pick to ignore Lizmo (sorry Jennifer, your the last person in the world I would not want to talk to thats why i picked you,lol)... so anyway, would she no longer see my posts or would I no longer see her posts, or both?

I was unaware of this feature as well and would love to use it in order to cut controversy.

thanks.

elissa
Old 10-31-2007, 11:50 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoodleMommy View Post
could someone explain the ignore button to those of us (probably only me) too slow to understand.

Say I pick to ignore Lizmo (sorry Jennifer, your the last person in the world I would not want to talk to thats why i picked you,lol)... so anyway, would she no longer see my posts or would I no longer see her posts, or both?

I was unaware of this feature as well and would love to use it in order to cut controversy.

thanks.

elissa
Just pick someone and have a play - you can turn it off again.

I think you can see when they post, but you can't read it.

And they can see you I think.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 10-31-2007, 11:55 AM
Back of the Pack

They can see everything you write, you can see that they posted, however you don't see the content... so if you get truely curious you can disable the ignore read what they said and then turn ignore back on again.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:04 PM
Yorkie Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyX View Post
They can see everything you write, you can see that they posted, however you don't see the content... so if you get truely curious you can disable the ignore read what they said and then turn ignore back on again.
that seems pointless...lol

I thought it would be more along the lines of you not seeing them and them not seeing you, like they were zapped out of cyber world, haha... that would have been soo much better... oh well..

thanks for the explanation.

Elissa