Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-11-2005, 12:56 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

there is a second aspect to keeping a dog that you have found..when i lived at the house that burned, it sat along side a creek lined with woods..i guess it was a natural draw to dogs that had escaped for whatever reason..the street ended in a very busy road where more then one poor pup had met it's end..and their were accidents regulary. IF i saw a dog in my yard that wasnt' from around here, or like the two pomerianians i saw on a 103 degree day i went out and gathered them up, giving them food and water..putting them in my backyard while i called lost dog registry and the the rest. It annoyed my neighbor who was a big dog hater..he had almost backed over those two overheated pomeranians and shouted at me when i said HEY STOP..so he called the animal control on me. By the time they got out there i had found the owner..btw i had washed and brushed the dirt, sticks and burrs out of their fluffly coats, rehydrated them, they were in far better shape and without so much as a thank you the owner collected his dogs and left..he acted like i stole them or was making the whole thing up. I don't think his dogs would have made it much longer, if they got out from where he said he lived they had traveled almost a mile in disasterous heat..anyway the animal control said by containing the animal and not calling them..i could be considered stealing the animal..and that i should call them immediantely from this point on..i said then what am i to do..let them go on down to that road and get hit or die from dehydration? the woman said..well we couldn't really get here until the next day anway...just make sure you call.
As to getting a puppy at 6 wks, i will over and over again advise against it..my concern is not ever for the anticipating new owner, but for the baby that needs his own mama and for his health.
as to Nutro..i cant afford to feed inova either right now..and the only place to buy it is way far across town..so i feed nutro..i asked Mordy and she said the amount of protein that Victor should have..i searched and that was the best i can give him..and he is fine. When i become more affluent, i will switch over.
We all just want what is best..and when advice is asked, we or at least I try to give only my best opinion. That is what it is, and people can take it or leave it...that is the point. to gain different perspectives to make the best decision from.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 07-11-2005, 01:12 PM
no touchy

I hate how many people here seem to push certain brands of food on people, and when they say that it's not available where they are or it's too expensive, they seem to get looked down on.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:22 PM
Top Dog

Well, you need to see both sides. Of course, there's nothing to say about lack of avaibility, but do all the people who claim that Innova is too expensive actually do a search to compare prices?

As I said earlier, I thought it would be too expensive too, then one day I actually went to a store that sells it and I was able to find the large bags of Innova at the same price as Nutro, and as you feed them less of it, it's actually cheaper for me. I have no idea how much Innova is worth in other states/stores.

I would probably not have decided to switch if it had been more expensive either, as they seem to do fine on nutro and I'm not really rich. It just doesn't hurt to do a search to make sure. And I'm not saying that people haven't done it either... Just that if they haven't, it might be worth it.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:25 PM
no touchy

What I mean by expensive is the price isn't the same in each area. Where I am, I think Innova is like $35.95 for a bag of Innova Evo (not sure, haven't been to the kibble house for a while now). I feed my dogs a high-quality food. They've got nice coats, pretty good teeth, and are happy, healthy, and energetic. Soon they'll be eating a completely raw diet.

What I'm saying is that when people see how many react towards what they feed, or consider feeding, they may just not even mention food again or post their choice of food because they're afraid of people jumping on them.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:31 PM
Top Dog

It's the same here... But the same for nutro too. Raw is great, it would be much more expensive for me than anything else though

But I see your point. I think it's mostly because lots of people just don't know that they are feeding crap that so many of us criticize some brands.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:15 PM
Rusty but Trusty

I felt the same way about the food issue when I first came here. I didn't know Iams would crap, and then people told me about Eagle Pack and Innova and I switched. It is more expensive (by maybe ten dollars) and my dogs don't really eat less of it but it's a good food and I am happy with the results. I will keep them on it unless I can't afford it for some unknown reason, but if I HAD TO switch I would probably go to Nutro because i switched them to that for a few weeks and they all seemed to like it (although considering Shelby's condition I would rather keep her on Innova).

Old 07-11-2005, 06:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliefurry
I didn't know Iams would crap, and then people told me about Eagle Pack and Innova and I switched. It is more expensive (by maybe ten dollars) and my dogs don't really eat less of it but it's a good food and I am happy with the results.
What kind of results did you see when you switched?
Old 07-11-2005, 08:41 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Well our dogs don't shed nearly as much as when we first got them. They did one really big shed and then now it's tolerable. Also their skin and coat condition is really good. Mack had dandruff and really bad skin when we first got him and now his coat is beautiful and his skin doesn't bother him anymore. I think it's helping their teeth too though, because I don't brush their teeth but they are always sparkly clean and their breath isn't horrible. I think they feel sort of softer too, they weren't this soft when I first got them.