Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 10-12-2007, 12:06 AM
Rusty but Trusty

Default This cat stinks!

Chaos stinks like crap (literally). He was given a bath like a month ago but he stinks so bad. It's not all the time just sometimes and it's not even like just when he gets out of the litter box either it's just every so often he'll jump in my lap and I can smell it.

His box is cleaned every day and the litter is completely changed every 2 weeks. I've never had a cat that smelled though. Right now he's on Avoderm cat/kitten food dry and Eagle Pack canned.

He smelled when we had him on Evo and we thought that switching to another brand of dry and canned food would help but he still smells pretty bad. He doesn't have worms either we took in a poop sample a week ago for testing.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:47 AM
Top Dog

Is it coming out of his mouth (Should be a question mark).

A smelly mouth is the sign of a serious problem, it could be from a URI to tooth decay.

Or maybe the food is giving him gas. (I know my kitten London farts alot, we just switched him from crap cat food to Kirkland Signature (Which is like Chicken Soup for the cat lovers soul), and him and his brother have bad gas.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:18 AM
Top Dog

Is he a long-haired cat? Could he have some poop stuck to his butt-fur?
Old 10-12-2007, 10:20 AM
Top Dog

Is it the smell of cat urine? Or poop?

My cats have always had a nice smell. The only time I had trouble was with a long-haired cat when he was a kitten sometimes needed help getting cleaned up after a bowel movement!!

Cat urine has a strong odor, though, and if he's getting it on himself (and he is a baby, right?), it could really smell.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:51 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

He could have worms if it's coming out his behind... I say vet him or some tests just to be sure.

Old 10-12-2007, 12:11 PM
Rusty but Trusty

No it's not coming out of his mouth, it's basically like his backend. No poop stuck to the butt furr either, I just checked it out. It's definetely cat poop smell. He's is a baby his birthday was estimated at June 9th of this year so he's around 4 months old.

I just took in a poop sample for worms but I'll bring the whole cat in to the vets now for a checkup.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:04 PM
Top Dog

If the smell is coming from his mouth, have you had his gums and teeth looked at? How old is this cat? When was the last tiem he has a dental or if he hasn't and he is over a few years old, I think you might want to start on that.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:37 PM
Top Dog

I realize why I don't have a cat anymore !! Bless their hearts !! I never owned a litter box or had to give any of my past cats a bath ! What happened to cats between 1934 and 1970s ???

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 10-17-2007, 10:32 PM
Top Dog

I never had to give any of my cats a bath either. They keep so clean, their fur and skin is really healthy and they smell lovely.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:53 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Well we're definetely bringing him in to the vets for a checkup and more than likely he'll need to be wormed.

Well I started giving him a flea bath awhile ago but than he got really itchy so that's why he had to get a bath. I never gave baths though either to the other two. It seems to help with my allergies too if he gets a bath every so often.