Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 07-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Top Dog

Default Changing diet/feeding two puppies

I'm still feeding my dogs nutro natural choice, but I got some innova today. At the moment, Tips is at 1 1/4 cup of nutro a day, and Boris at 6ish. With Innova, it's going to be 1/2 cup and 2 1/3.

So, I have two questions :

First, I'm thinking of starting mixing them now, and just pitch whatever nutro is left when I am done, but I'm not too sure how to do it. I've read I need to feed 90% of the old food and 10% of the new one the first day, then 80/20 etc... is that right? Wouldn't that be too fast? When I changed Boris' food when I got him he got diarrhea, so I guess I did it too fast. Also, I'm worried that as innova's proportions are 1/2 of nutro's, it's going to be a real mess to get it right.

Second, they currently have their own food each, but with Innova they will have the same food. Should I still feed them separetely or together? I'm worried that if I don't separate them Boris will eat everything or Tips will eat more than his share. For now they usually only eat until they are not hungry anymore of their own food, but will gobble up the other dog's food if they get the opportunity...

Any advice is welcome!
Old 07-07-2005, 06:23 PM
Island dweller

Well, you know. My dogs do not have sensitive stomachs and we don't do anything gradually. I just switch them right over. Sometimes there will still be dog food in the bottom of their bin and I'll mix it up but I never have any problems.

But, your dogs aren't my dogs. Mordy talked about this on another thread but I don't remember which one. I'll look for it.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:30 PM
Quigleyfied

i'd just mix in some of the old food over the course of 2-3 days. don't bother with a drawn out "10% less each day" protocol if your dogs don't have any serious issues.

what you can do is keep a can of pumpkin on hand (not the spiced pie filling, it's 100% pure pumpkin) and add 1-2 teaspoons per meal per dog if they are starting to have loose stools. a probiotic supplement is also a good idea.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 07-11-2005, 04:09 PM
Top Dog

Mordy, how do you know if their loose stools are from switching over or if the new food is tooo rich for them? The reason I ask is because we are going through the same thing and it has been 5 days of mostly the new food (he picks out all the new kibble and leaves the old) and his stool is still soft... The people we got him from had him on Pro Pac puppy which is corn and wheat fillers and now he is eating the same as are other dogs which is Merrick.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:38 PM
Quigleyfied

i don't really think that any food is "too rich".

when this question comes up, i always ask what defines "rich" anyway? "too fatty" makes sense, as it gives some dogs digestive trouble, and so does "not enough fiber" for dogs who get constipated.

generally the main causes for soft stools is one of the following 3:
1. the dog eats a larger amount than really needed. this happens often when someone switches from a food with lots of fillers to a better quality one that is more nutrient dense. cut down the portion a little bit and see if that helps.
2. a slight digestive upset from adjusting to a new food - some dogs adjust faster than others.
3. sensitivity or allergy to an ingredient. if this is the case, the dog won't adjust to the food, even 2 or 3 or more months later. this doesn't necessarily have to be a main ingredient either, so the corn or rice or oatmel may not be the culprit, it could even just be one of the minor ingredients. many pet food companies still use menadione (artificial vitamin K) for example, which has been linked to various allergies and other health problems.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!