Flying with a dog

RD

Are you dead yet?
In a couple weeks I am going to be flying back to Arizona, and Eve will be flying with me in the cabin. She's been on a plane before, when she was a puppy, but then she was in a carrier under the seat. This time she'll just be on a leash.

Has anyone flown with a service dog (or just a pet, if it was a larger dog not in a carrier) before? If you have, any tips? I'm not worried about my dog so much as people's reactions to her.

Melissa_W

I didn't know that dogs were allowed to fly in the cabin... Did you have to buy her a seat or what?

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Not all airlines recognize sdit with the same privileges as an sd for being on leash in cabin. Just make sure your airline does. Few people I know with SDs take a blanket for their sd not because they are embarrassed, but to make them less visible especially if they boarded the plane first, and everyone has to walk by them.

Aquavibe

i didn't knew either that they are accepted in cabin. or at least in my country they surely aren't. i think that if he's not agressive in general, you don't have anything to worry about.

RD

Are you dead yet?
The airline said that they allow service animals to fly with their handler in the cabin. I didn't have to buy her a seat, she can ride on my lap or by my feet (or if there's an empty seat in my row, she can sit there)

She's fully trained to perform the tasks that I need her to perform, but she's still just a baby and hasn't yet completed her public access test, so I say she's in training. In AZ, dogs in training are given access rights, but I'm not sure about Washington.

mrose_s

BusterLove
I want to fly with my dog in the cabin to! lol I don't think any airlines do it over here. Pity, I always get so stressed because if we do crash I can't get our animals out and thta would kill me.

RD

Are you dead yet?
BB, I'm *in* Washington. :p Spokane. I've been here for a couple months. I'm flying back to Arizona on the 31st.

RD

Are you dead yet?
I hadn't planned on it, but she assigned herself the job when she was just a few months old. :)

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
by law ANY airline HAS to provie acess to serivce dogs, otherwise its descrimination, least in the usa (other countries have different ruls on SD acess laws.)

that being asi, make sure shes wearing her SD vest (even if it says in training, and call to confirm a few times with the airline before your flight make sure theres a note put on the manefest that you will be bringing your service dog with you onto the flight. the laws for public acess are the same all over the US so you shoudlnt have any acess problems from state to state in terms of legality, however i would, if possible print out a few copies of the service dog laws from the ADA website or any other site with SD acess info, just in case.

unfortunatly MOST people (security, airline attendants ect as well as places in your home town (ie stores)) are NOT familiar with the rules (or that fact that there are service dogs other than labs...) so having a copy of the pamhlet just adds as extra backup if your ever given any issues.

its preferd that the dog stay on the floor by most airlines so i do suggest taking a blanket or pad with a familar scent for her to lay on and if possible ask for a BULK HEAD seat (this will give you more leg room, meaning more room for her to lay down comfortably at your feet if the flight is busy.

and of course, make sure to have a copy of her rabies cert and if possible have your vet just give you a letter stating shes up to date on shots and healthy...

good luck.

(and if you dont mind me asking, what kind of services is she training for?, it always interests me to see what other service dogs are training to do)

Herschel

The airline said that they allow service animals to fly with their handler in the cabin. I didn't have to buy her a seat, she can ride on my lap or by my feet (or if there's an empty seat in my row, she can sit there)

She's fully trained to perform the tasks that I need her to perform, but she's still just a baby and hasn't yet completed her public access test, so I say she's in training. In AZ, dogs in training are given access rights, but I'm not sure about Washington.
If you are considering her a SDIT, then only a couple of airlines will allow her. (Delta is one of them) However, if you consider her a SD, then any airline must accept her. (There is no certification required, it just depends on if you consider yourself disabled and if Eve can provide you assistance)

You may want to print the appropriate forms: http://www.k9man.com/flying_service_dogs.htm

As already mentioned, request a bulk-head seat.

Members online

No members online now.