Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by malmo View Post
Do let the doctor look at him, though, and formulate an opinion before you self-diagnose him from the internet. You may well be right, but let the vet have a look.
Of course I don't have the know-how to self diagnose him. Basically just seeking little tidbits of information of things that it could possibly be. Only the vet will know for certain. I'm just trying to explore possibilities, gain some insight, learn from people who may have dealt with it before and do research and see what comes up for me.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:43 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

That's an awful long time for a dog that might be in some real discomfort... I suggest an aloe/oatmeal bath regularly to help soothe the skin.

It could very well be a yeast infection, since you mentioned smell. Hope it gets taken care of quickly.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:05 AM
*Biter*

Sounds like seborrhea or possibly a thyroid condition. Definitely a vet trip. Medicated shampoo, possibly some meds for bacterial infection and if suspected, a blood test for thyroid function.

I'd call your vet asap.

I know that smell you speak of. Please get your pup to the vet.

Ditto - 2 year old APBT and Corvus - 7 year old supermutt
Old 10-11-2007, 01:17 AM
Big Dog

are Thyroid conditions or Seborrhea contageous?
Athena was origionally the itchy one, and we manage to cure it but it always comes back. She's stopped fully scratching now (we haven't seen her scratch in over 2 months! yay!) But Charlie is the one that has it now.. same places that she was itchy,

Editted for past tense on athena's itchyness

Last edited by Apollonaro; 10-11-2007 at 01:28 AM.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:14 PM
Are you dead yet?

Apollo, I have no advice for you on this topic, but I just wanted to say hi to one of my favorite "old" members. It's really good to see you again.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:43 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD View Post
Apollo, I have no advice for you on this topic, but I just wanted to say hi to one of my favorite "old" members. It's really good to see you again.
Thank you RD
Feels good that you remembered me from so long ago!!!
It is good to be back (i lost the website after a reformat and couldn't find it again until recently.. i'm shocked i remembered my user name and password)

On the topic however i've been spending the past few days researching all the options you guys have given to me as to what it may possibly be. I'm definately looking forward to the vet trip, that's for sure. However, it seems to almost directly resemble in appearance and symptoms of Malassezia Dermatitis as i had thought earlier after reading a little bit about it but after seeing pictures, and reading more about the issue.. it sounds pretty much bang on to what he's got. I'm going to ask the vet though and get a more solid diagnosis.