Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 10-04-2007, 11:09 AM
Top Dog

Default Routine Vacc's

I know there are many threads on the topic of vaccines, specifically whether to or not. From what I have read I agree with the stance that vaccines should not be done every year and instead to simply get blood titers done to keep an eye on which have taken and which need to be re- done. However my one of two concerns is this: at what age do you stop vaccines and begin blood titers?

Duke is now 14 months old and has only had his puppy boosters plus his rabies. I have him booked for his updates next thursday and was planning for it to be his last update before I begin routine blood titers starting next year. My question is, is that to young to stop vaccines or is it better to vaccine up to x amount of years and then stop?

Also since I am getting his vaccine updates this year regardless I would like to know which ones he needs. I know lyme is not nesicary here but as for things like bordatella and so on are these part of the usual vaccine process?

Thanks
Kayla

“Violence begins where knowledge ends.” –Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-04-2007, 11:13 AM
Active Pup

I had my dogs 1 set of Vaccs as pups, and then the Booster at a year, just in case the mother's imunity cancelled out the first jabs. After the 1st year booster, I titre.

......so I've heard !!!
Old 10-04-2007, 12:55 PM
overdogged

i'd definitely booster this year. rabies for certain, and dhpp (distemper/hepatitis/parainfluenza/parvo). whether or not he should get lepto depends on where you live and the risks of his lifestyle (my dogs get it).

bordatella may be required for boarding/grooming/classes, but otherwise i wouldn't give it.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 10-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

Well rabies has to be done year to year in some areas so you should check on that. The vet will be able to tell you.

The others, you could titer, but just be aware that strains do change over time and what they're vaccinated for a year or two ago may not be what's out there right now. It's all Bordatella, that's true, but there's many different strains of Bordatella.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 10-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Top Dog

Kai had a 1 yr rabies and DHPP booster, but we are going to titer from now on. NC has an every 3 year rule for rabies, but I'm going to try to get them to accept a titer.

Bordatella can be treated with antibiotics, it's not worth the risk of getting the vaccine, imo.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:47 PM
But please, call me Barb

Dante had puppy and 1 year boosters, titers from here on out 'cept the stupid Bordetella that the kennel insists he has to board and of course Rabies as required by law.