Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-30-2007, 05:25 PM
Top Dog

Personally, I don't care either way. I like cropped dogs and I like floppy eared dogs. I think people should be free to do what they want with their dogs, and if they choose to crop responsibly, then let them. I agree 100% with Aussie Red.

I've been around lots of (Doberman) puppies after they've been cropped and they're absolutely no different from their floppy eared siblings, except that their ears are a bit itchy.

As far as docking goes, I have zero problems with that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picklepaige View Post
I've never seen breeders sell cropped puppies....I thought at least that was left up to the owner? Once again, cropped dogs are highly unattractive to me, especially dobermans....
A good breeder, if they're into cropping, will always sell their pups already cropped to ensure that it was done properly and at the right age. Some will give a choice to the owner of whether they want cropped or natural ears, but they certainly wouldn't send the puppy home with an owner who wanted a cropped dog without getting ti done first.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 09-30-2007, 05:41 PM
HarleyD

Last time I looked, most of the traditionally docked breeds don't require being docked or cropped in the show ring. It's like an opitional thing now.

Either way, I know some dogs look "cooler" with cropped ears and a docked tail, but personally I don't believe in doing it. I've watched tail dockings and ear crops and it just seems cruel.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:05 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Last time I looked, most of the traditionally docked breeds don't require being docked or cropped in the show ring. It's like an opitional thing now.
It depends on the breed's standard. Also depends on how seriously faulted natural ears and tails are, from breed to breed.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 09-30-2007, 07:22 PM
Top Dog

I am not against it..I am all for letting the owner decide.

And I could not agree more Aussie! If you are for it that is fine, and if you are against it that is fine too.

But what I absolutly HATE, is when people put down a responsible owner for cropping their pups ears. If you don't agree with cropping that is fine, but there is no reason to bash people who are for it.

I own 2 natural eared great danes..wouldn't want them any other way. And while I ADORE their big floppy ears, I do prefer the look of a cropped Dane.. my next Dane will be cropped. Just my preference.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:42 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labra View Post
There is nothing remotely attractive about amputating perfectly functional body parts. I think the practice of cropping especially is absolutely disgusting. It is PURELY cosmetic and serves no functional purpose. Altering a dogs natural image to fit some written 'ideal' standard.

I can't believe that it has not been outlawed in the USA yet.
In many cases it is, but not in all. Ear cropping can help with chronis ear infections... one member cropped her Dobe's ears and the ear infections stopped. I'm afraid I can't remember the member's name, though... maybe someone else can. I also vaguely remember someone telling me their vet recommended it for their Lab.. LOL.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:39 AM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by noludoru View Post
In many cases it is, but not in all. Ear cropping can help with chronis ear infections... one member cropped her Dobe's ears and the ear infections stopped. I'm afraid I can't remember the member's name, though... maybe someone else can. I also vaguely remember someone telling me their vet recommended it for their Lab.. LOL.
Ive often heard this as a reason to crop but have never found any evidence to back it up - do you have a link at all?

Im sure we have no more ear infections here than normal even though cropping has been banned for decades so just wondered if there was any scientific based evidence?

You bet they die!