Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-25-2007, 11:04 PM
Top Dog

Default Cropping & Docking - For or Against?

I, personally, am very against it. I liken it to forcing a child to get plastic surgery even if they don't want it. It's cutting off a body part. It's as bad as declawing in cats. I understand dewclaw removal, because my dogs sometimes get their dewclaws caught on leashes and such, but in this day and age, cropping and docking serve no purpose. Your thoughts on the matter?
Old 09-25-2007, 11:19 PM
<--------Orson

Here is a thread of nearly the same title.............

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/show...light=cropping

There is enough reading there to keep you busy, LOL

I am all for responsible pet owners to choose what's right for their pet, as long as it's done by a professional using proper medications and equipment.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:21 PM
Top Dog

Even if someone does choose to do it, I think they should be given the option. I had a min pin once, and she came docked. :\
Old 09-25-2007, 11:29 PM
<--------Orson

Did you discuss it with the breeder beforehand? If the breeder wasn't willing to work with your wishes, why did you go ahead and buy from them??
Old 09-25-2007, 11:41 PM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Even if someone does choose to do it, I think they should be given the option. I had a min pin once, and she came docked. :\
In most cases, you do have the option - if the breeder you choose will not sell a puppy au naturale, you find a different breeder or choose rescue! I've got three docked dogs (traditionally docked breeds), two of which are cropped (traditionally cropped breeds). I will get a natural eared dobe someday, but not right now. I like having a choice, especially since my dogs are docked and cropped by professionals and reknowned cropping vets.

However... I find myself urging most people NOT to crop - I'd rather see natural ears than a bad crop ANY day! And usually, the average pet owner does not have the resources to get a good crop in the first place.... so it's just easier to go with natural ears.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 09-25-2007, 11:50 PM
Who woulda thought <3

http://chazhound.com/forums/search.php?searchid=698145

There you go
Old 09-26-2007, 12:08 AM
Top Dog

Well my mom was an ass and didn't bother choosing the right breed or anything. I urged her to go with a corgi, which I know would've been better for us, and I urged her to find a good breeder, but she just found the breed with the least health problems of the options we chose and the breeder with the cheapest prices.

And then she got the min pin's ears cropped.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:36 AM
Uffda!

I personally wouldn't get my dogs ears cropped, but I would dock their tails if thats the standard. Honestly, if it's done by a professional I have nothing against docking or cropping. But I must admit, I'm not a fan of the Min Pin crops I see. I think they look better with natural ears. I do like the crops on dobermans though, maybe its because they are a bigger dog. I guess a lot of show bostons are cropped. I don't really see the point since their ears already stand, but I'm told it has something to do with the shape of the ears.

"The great secret, Eliza, is not having bad manners or good manners or any other particular sort of manners, but having the same manner for all human souls: in short, behaving as if you were in Heaven, where there are no third-class carriages, and one soul is as good as another." George Bernard Shaw Pygmalion
Old 09-26-2007, 02:38 AM
Here to learn

I agree. I like natural ears, though sometimes I can be sold on a cropped tail.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:57 AM
Active Pup

I am only for cropping/docking if it is for medical or professional reasons only e.g. working police dogs.