Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 02-06-2007, 01:15 PM
GSD lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by soft pawz View Post
there is no 100% security but 99.9%. outside my male is on a leash and i would never leave my dog in the yard without supervision and in that case,
sorry but i think i would realize if a dog would be ontop of mine or the other way round.
another thing is that males simply dont get pregnant. now dont call me ignorant. thats simply true. its the female that ends up with the puppys therfore its the owner of the bitch that needs to supervise. if you think thats to much work then dont get a female. it might not sound fair but who ends up with the puppys?
of course that doesnt mean that all male dogs should run at large or anything, no dogowner should let his dog run around free and without supervision.

while you think spaying is the quick fix for the stray puppy problem i simply call it animal cruelty.
then you might as well fix humans, after all there are more then enaugh orphans in this world......let alone the overpopulation of this world.
with humans nobody would think about it but everybody thinks doing it to dogs is ok......

god, you cant compare apples with pairs.........seriously

please tell me you are kidding.........i am a female and this has nothing to do with "male-pissing-contest-thinking". do you know how many problems a complete removal means for the person??? do you know how many medication you will have to take for the rest of your life, how many complications.....

that statement is rediculous, and i am tired of hearing it. you got a problem with your period, well guess what, some dont! and just trust me on this, you DONT wanna go through that surgery.

besides that i am convinced that spaying every single stray is not gonna help with the "abandoned puppy ending up in shelter and getting killed issue"

its the people who are the problem, not the dogs.
Very well said!! I was thinking the same thing...I am still young, but I would like to be able to keep my sexual organs for the rest of my life.. I hear about woman that have to get hysterectomies and they have a lot of problems afterward, not to mention the emotional problems they go through. I dont know if you wantch Sex and the City..lol..but when Samantha thought she was going through menapause and was devastated, she screamed halleluah when she got her period.

I totally agree with definately having a stray neutured because you have no idea what the family history is. I also am a little ticked off about some people's perception of breeders. I bet you that not every single one of you has bought a puppy from a 100% best in show parents....so why do a lot of you say that you should never Breed dogs that are not trophy award winners? If everyone did that then we wouldn't have many dogs available to us to buy....and the ones that we could find would be way out of most of our price range. I bought my puppy from GSD breeders that I found in the papers...according to some people, people that sell puppies after they are born, one's that don't already have owners before they are born, are backyard breeders. I will say it again, if we all breeders had to wait until they had potential buyers for all of the puppies born, then a lot of us common folks wouldnt be able to buy a dog. I looked them up in the paper and then went to their website and very much approved of the way they did things, good health records, DNA testing done on the stud, OFA certification..ect.. Even though I didn't buy my dog from top award winning parents...my guy is growing into a very beatiful dog with great conformations....and now I am interested in getting him involved in dog shows in the the future.

I would really like some input from others about what they think about my point. cuz you can't learn new things from things that are not said.

Thank you
Old 02-06-2007, 01:27 PM
GSD lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordy View Post
You are mixing up dog and wolf characteristics here that don't have anything to do with each other. Dogs are dogs and wolves are wolves. Especially since you brought up comparing "apples and pears", if you need a little help with the differences, check out this book:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/022...lance&n=283155
Actually all domesticated dogs (except for the Chihuahuas, who are related to the rat) originated from wolves....so they do have very much to do with one another..

This website goes further into it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4965516.stm
Old 02-06-2007, 01:38 PM
GSD lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawdog View Post
I just thought I would put my 2 cents in. First let me say that I will be getting Nahnuk neutered asap. For health reasons only. I don't beleive for a second that any of us here getting our dogs neutered or spayed is going to stop the pet population problem because most of us here are responsible owners and if there was an accident we would be sure the puppies were taken care of and went to good homes. Simpley put we are not the problem. The problem is people like the ones who live down the block from me. At least four times a week I will find their female pitbull wandering around the block and I will take her back to her house, put her back inside the fence and make sure she has water. I have lived here almost four years and she has had 5 litters. None of them planned. These people and ones like them are the problem. And no matter how much you try to explain to them why they should have their dog spayed or neuterd they don't care. If they were going to listen there wouldn't be a problem in the first place. Because as we all know Bob Barker has been telling us to have our pets spayed or neutered since I was a kid. And everyone has seen The Price Is Right. The problem is that most people just don't care.

As for any responsible owner who chooses not to get their pet spayed or neutered. I believe that is a decission every owner has to make for themselves. I choose to do it because Nahnuk can't decide for himself. And I am sure that if he could he would choose not to get cancer.

This is just my opinion and isn't ment to hurt anyones feelings or make anyone mad. I think we all need to try a little harder to understand that our opinions a just that. They may be based on hard facts and statistics, but nothing is black and white.

Opinion very well stated! It would be nice if everyone had your non-judgemental attitude
Old 02-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Snow Girl

I can say this for sure, unless a health risk pops up I will not be doing any neutering or spaying before the age of two ever again!! Once the dog turns two if there still is no medical reason why he needs to have it done or he has some big deformity that I dont want to be passed on to any dog then i wont have it done. Why? Because there are many benefits to leaving a dog intact which I find funny that no one mentions and to me those outweight the benefits of neutering.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 02-06-2007, 06:13 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oski View Post
Actually all domesticated dogs (except for the Chihuahuas, who are related to the rat) originated from wolves....so they do have very much to do with one another..

Oh, come on..
Old 02-06-2007, 06:18 PM
GSD lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof2Pups View Post
Oh, come on..
seriously...but its ok...rats are cool, very smart.

......no, im kidding, I just thought I would throw one of those funny myths in there for kicks, but I do like them...who doesn't like the Taco Bell dog??? lol

Last edited by Oski; 02-06-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 09-24-2007, 11:52 PM
Active Pup

I have nothing against spaying/neutering,except when owners think it's a magic bullet to all of their pets behavioural problems,when instead a good training program should be implemented.

I am however against spaying/neutering young puppies.At least wait until they are physically and mentally mature before taking away their hormones,which they need to properly develop to their full potential,both mentally and physically.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:34 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie72 View Post
I have nothing against spaying/neutering,except when owners think it's a magic bullet to all of their pets behavioural problems,when instead a good training program should be implemented.

I am however against spaying/neutering young puppies.At least wait until they are physically and mentally mature before taking away their hormones,which they need to properly develop to their full potential,both mentally and physically.
Definitely true of the large breeds. My breed (borzoi) should NEVER be altered before one year of age, preferably after two. Doing so prevents their growth plates from ever properly closing and is guaranteed to cause arthritis. Every good borzoi breeder out there puts a requirement in their contract stating that the puppy will not be subjected to pediatric spaying or neutering. It's pretty unnecessary in their case anyway, as most females don't even go into their first heat until their third year.

We will probably neuter Strider when he turns two, BUT may choose to keep him intact if the male dog birth control drugs are approved for use in the US by the time he is two( very possible). The breed is extremely sensitive to anesthesia, and him dying during the surgery is a very real risk that I would rather avoid if possible. The only way I would ever consider allowing him to breed would be if:

He passed health tests for joints, thyroid, heart, and eyes, and tested negative for brucellosis.

He has a proven stable and awesome temperament (Above and beyond passing CGC)

He makes it past 5 years of age without bloating.

He proves himself to have normal conformation for the breed within the show ring.

He proves his health and "working ability" in some kind of dog sport, such as lure coursing or agility.

And even then, the one and only purpose I would breed him for is to get puppies for myself, with the intent and ability to keep every single one if needed. This is not to say I wouldn't give some away or sell to approved families (this is how we got him after all!), but the primary purpose would be improving the breed and bringing dogs into the world for our own use. I do not mind at all if someone wants to breed their dog, as long as it is planned, the animals they are using are healthy, and there is a specific purpose for the litter they have planned (aside from the usual "experience the miracle of birth" crap). Blah, sorry for the longwinded rant.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:03 AM
Bored Now.

Quote:

ROFLMAO!!!! And yes, I definitely buy the story that it was just a 'joke' put in there for kicks. Suuure.
Jessie, I guess no one told you that your Chis need to be kept in a cage and fed grain.

Hey Romy--I didn't know you got a dog. Did I miss the post about Strider?