Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-09-2005, 01:10 AM
Big German Shepherd

Default Any Suggestions On Obedience Training?

Anybody have any suggestions on what I should teach Rocky next.

He knows sit down, lie down, stay, come here, shake, and I think that's it.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:48 AM
Kelpiefied

Well, you could teach "pick up that thing for me", weave between legs as you walk,
rollover, "leave it", go get your leash, "go wake up (insert name here)", seek forwards and seek back, which is a command I use to get my dogs to check out the area for any dangers before i go in. I taught my kelpie to round up the cat and the other dogs when i want them inside, though I wouldn't suggest cat herding for most people!
You can also teach "say your prayers" and "go shake hands with them", where you point to the person you want the dog to shake with.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:17 AM
Happy Meal. Yum.

I would go for "leave it" or "drop it".....those two are important
Old 07-09-2005, 03:27 AM
Top Dog

I taught Hunter both "drop it" and "leave it" with his ball he loves. He has it in his mouth and I say "drop it" and when he does I then say "leave it" and he just goes nuts in anticipation that I'm about to throw it for him to fetch it! Does Rocky fetch? Hunter's a lab, so it comes naturally to him.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:59 AM
Disappointed :(

I'd suggest 'fetch' and 'drop'/'leave' too

A definitive 'stop' or 'no' command

'In' + 'out' are useful --- of a room, car etc.

And a little game Bonnie knows is, with someone she knows in a safe open space, to be sent to 'find' the other person -- started with short distances within easy sight first...
Old 07-09-2005, 04:15 AM
Top Dog

And if you want to get REAL fancy... I was able to teach my original duo (Eli the golden and Yogi the lab) to "stand". I would get them to stand and stay and leave the room for up to two minutes and come back and they're in the same position waiting for me! I always made sure their legs are in a comfortable standing position. And when I would re-enter the room I would go around them in the "heal" position then praise them with their treat. Now, mind you, this is VERY advanced and it took some time (and NO harsh words during the training process). But it sure helped out during the brushing or bathing process where I would just say "stand" and they would while I suds them up and hosed them down during baths...
Old 07-09-2005, 08:58 AM
Top Dog

I would definitely teach 'wait'. It's wonderful to show your dog that you are the master, and very helpful to make sure you end up going first in doors etc. And it can be a lifesaver.

Needless to say, I waited too long so I'm having lots of issues with Boris with that one... mostly because he's so used to running in front of me when we go outside and stuff that it's extremely easy for him to ignore my command... We just started working on it, though.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:12 AM
Felurian

Wait and Drop It are real sanity savers. It's also a good tiime to work on social skills like Heel and things like stopping and sitting before crossing a street. Work on some fun things too, like Hide and Seek games. Rocky may or may not enjoy Fetch. None of my German Shepherds saw the point in it. Bear would go get anything I asked, but if I threw it and asked him to get it he'd sit down and look at me, his face clearly saying "if you wanted it, why did you throw it away?"

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-09-2005, 10:44 AM
no touchy

"Leave it" and "drop it" are really important. I use them all the time with my girls. I also taught my girls "stop" so that if they're getting too close to something I don't want them near when they're off-leash, I can just say, "stop!" and be sure they're safe.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.