Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-20-2007, 01:27 AM
Twin 2.0

That it interesting...I'd be really interested in finding out if dogs can have autism as well...

On a sort of related topic, we have a rescued Dane that comes in for boarding that also has no concept of how to read dog body language. The boy simply cannot tell, even with in your face barks and growls, when another dog wants to be left alone.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:20 AM
Top Dog

A friend of mine had a Sheltie, Max, that had some serious issues, he would sit, at home or away, in the darkest spot he could find, and would only come out if forced to. He would stay there until he peed, if he was allowed to. He would not make eye contact with people at all. When he was away from home, he would not eat, period, and would only drink water if he was ouside on a walk. The only time he "came to life" in the slightest was if another dog was around. He would somewhat come out of his zombielike mode, and actually seem to enjoy life a little bit. Even his owners couldn't touch him without him going into almost a catatonic state. He was like this from the day they got him (he was an expensive dog from a good breeder, and my friend and her hubby were told he was just a little "shy") until he died at 13. The new pup they got from the same breeder is exactly the opposite, and kind of a shock to them, as he wants to be with them 24/7, and does something Max never did, he wants to PLAY!

I've seen some odd behavior in dogs over the years, but Max holds the title as most bizarre.