Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-19-2007, 11:05 PM
Angel Chicken

Default Need some help...

So, Kona has had this skin condition for quite some time...

We aren't sure what it is yet, but before I get her back to the vet next month for her annual anyway, I'd like to try and control it or at least make it so she's more comfortable. It's not to the point of interfering with her normal life, she just wants to be scratched all over a few times a day. She also likes to use my coffee table as her personal butt scratching post.

She is always itching, she has really bad dry skin. She is also allergic to grass, it makes mer belly break out more.

Any shampoos or anything out there that could give my girl some comfort before we go to the vet?
Old 09-19-2007, 11:09 PM
Top Dog

Sorry to say , but vetting is the way to go . Bite the bullet !!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-19-2007, 11:13 PM
Angel Chicken

I know it is Grammy And believe me, we will get her to a vet in October. She isn't due for her Rabies until then, and her annual, so we are going to wait.
Old 09-19-2007, 11:16 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Hmm.. I think she should be taken to the vet because of her itchiness. You want her to be at her worst for the vet so that she can be more easily diagnosed. If you take her after she is well and talk to the vet about it, you wont have anything to show for it? How will the vet know to help make her better?

Allergies are an awful, awful thing in dogs... she needs treatment before her annual.

ETA: I'm not understanding the want to wait? The moment I start to notice Buddy getting an "episode" we're at the vet...

Old 09-19-2007, 11:42 PM
Rusty but Trusty

Would your vet maybe vaccinate a little early, it may not be best but it's an option? Our vet has done that once just so they didn't have to charge us for an extra trip.

I can't think of any shampoos, have you used maybe an oatmeal shampoo?

Old 09-20-2007, 12:46 AM
Chihuahua Power!

What kind of food do you feed her? It also sounds like it could be a food related allergy.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 09-20-2007, 01:25 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

We use Earth Bath's oatmeal and aloe shampoo... I use it regularly on Buddy and I use a hmmm... what are those called? those kong things? and rub it all over and he's just in heaven. makes him feel a bit better. But, really, Kona should go to the vet- it needs to be looked at further.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:26 AM
Angel Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliefurry View Post
I can't think of any shampoos, have you used maybe an oatmeal shampoo?
Yup, and it didn't help much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
What kind of food do you feed her?
I've been feedin' EVO RM for some time now... thinking about trying something else though, as she doesn't like it too much, even when I put yogurt or something yummy in it. Royal Canin is my next try...

I reckon I'll make her annual a little early then. I'll make an appointment today. I hope it ain't nothing too too serious... geeze I hate it when my baby isn't feelin' well.

By the way, I gave her a warm bath last night... and she is already feelin' a little better.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:43 AM
Angel Chicken

Appointment is made... although it isn't soon.

My vet is going out of town today (just my luck), and he knows how Kona is... funny... about the other vets in his office.

So we had to make the appointment for October the 5th. Sheesh...

I would so take her to another vet, but this is the only vet she really likes and actually goes nutty for when you ask her if she wants to go see him...

So we have to wait... since the vet leaves this afternoon and she's booked until then
Old 09-20-2007, 07:45 AM
Just try me..

Snip has seasonal allergies too. Gets red and itchy. JRTs seem prone to this (or I just know a lot who have it) Snips isn't bad. I added hemp oil (tried fish oil first) to his diet and wash him with http://petsafe-warehouse.com/Pet_car...ng/oatmeal.htm This seems to work very well.