Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-10-2004, 08:16 PM
Felurian

I've always found that unsalted chicken broth, adding amounts of cooked, white meat chicken, seasoned only with a (very) little sage or a small amount of ginger (good for nausea) added as your dog is better able to hold food, is the best food for a dog with an upset stomach.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:24 AM
Top Dog

We do the white rice thing too, usually with lean ground meat in it too. I had a Lab pup that had stomach problems (turned out to be hookworms, took forever to find them) and he had trouble keeping anything else down. After the worms were gone, it was his favorite thing to eat, period, and would take it over anything else, and I mean anything. It was the only thing he really got nasty about sharing with my other dogs I had later on. We had to feed the other two out of his sight, or he would look at them and make them walk away from their bowls. King does it with Molly now, she looks like she's gonna get it when he suggests "You really don't want that Sis!". Her ears go back and she bails out. I stop him from eating and call her back, and he is usually ok, but sometimes he tries it again and again. Molly has no gumption, and never pushes it.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliBeans
Thanks for the tip. I have never heard of feeding a dog white rice before. That is interesting. Just out of curiosity, what is it about the rice that helps them?
Just gives them some substance without upseting the stomache anymore. Something they can hold down. And.. I'm talking when they are sick for more than a day and caught some kind of bug/flu.